Hi-hat clutch problem

jimmy

Hi-hat clutch problem

Post by jimmy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi guys,

I have a problem with the hi-hat which has been really annoying lately.

Basically I set the hi hat clutch to 50%, but then when my foot is on the pedal it enables me to open it 100% which doesn’t make sense. I find it really hard to manually control the openness of the hi hat during a fast song so it troubles me when playing e.g. Rush songs :p

Thanks 🙏

Richard

Re: Hi-hat clutch problem

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:34 am

Hi Jimmy,

The hi-hat drop clutch feature allows you to set openness of the hi-hat when your foot isn't over the hi-hat pedal. If your foot is over the hi-hat pedal then the drop clutch setting is irrelevant.

The idea behind this is that it allows you to set how open you want the hi-hats when you're playing double bass drum. If you move your foot from the hi-hat pedal to a secondary kick pedal, that's when the drop clutch setting is used. So, for example, if you set it to 10% then when you're playing double bass drum and you hit the hi-hat you will hear it at 10% openness.

If I understand you correctly, what you would like is to be able to fix the hi-hat openness at a certain value. You could fake this using the drop clutch feature by moving the hi-hat pedal further to the left (assuming you're right-handed) and adding a second kick pedal to the right of the hi-hat pedal.

Hope that makes sense.

jimmy

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 am

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the fast reply.
I really like the hi-hat drop clutch feature and as you said it works wonderfully when playing with doublebass, but also depending on the song I'm playing I need to be constantly moving my feet between the hi-hat pedal and the double-bass pedal. Sometimes when I move my feet back to the hi-hat pedal I accidentally open it 100% and that's something I usually don't worry about when playing with a real pedal. Hope I don't sound to fussy about this

I'll try your strategy once I have time to get on the kit.

What I'd like to do is be able to set the openness to 40% with my feet on the pedal so that when I open it I don't have to worry about opening it too much, hope that makes sense.

Thank you again,
Jimmy

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks Jimmy, I understand. You can't currently set the "maximum openness" of the hi-hat but we will consider adding this in a future release.

Djeannot

Post by Djeannot » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Maybe you could clone your kit and modify the samples so as not to include open hi-hat over 50% ? I haven't tried as I ddn't have this sort of problem, but tampering with cloned kits seems a way to adapt and experiment with little risk, as long as you can't modify thhe original kits. :idea: ??