Aerodrums - BS or Viable Practice Option?

Ringowig

Re: Aerodrums - BS or Viable Practice Option?

Post by Ringowig » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 pm

A dedicated Aerodrums channel sounds a cool idea...

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:39 am

Furthermore to the discussion about Aerodrums being a ‘viable practice option’...I sometimes set up a kit which consists of just a snare drum..that way there’s less distractions and I enjoy working through stickings, technique, reading..I.e the Buddy Rich book or something similar. Sometimes even just a regular practice pad can be too noisy in certain situations or time of day etc.
I think that concentrating on clean execution of ideas rather than speed on Aerodrums can work wonders when you get back to the kit, or even just the regular practice pad.
I also think that Aerodrums give you the muscle ‘facility’ to be able to play ‘off’ the head rather than digging into the drum.. this is just my own personal thought though..
Another cool and very useful option is to set a small kick,Snare,Hat,ride kit up and work through independence/interdependence ideas...stick heights, ghost notes etc. There’s so much that can be worked on when sometimes even just hitting cushions is not possible.
So to me it’s a perfectly viable option. I can imagine for some people in apartments / shared houses etc Aerodrums would be the ONLY option.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Wolfgang wrote:
Ringowig wrote:^^^^^^^^Totally agree with all this!..
Thanks for your support. So we are at least two.
Nice you have reposted the John Riley's “Last Week” video. I would like to do a classified YouTube channel about Aerodrums and your video needs to be in there.
I’ve send you a pm.

I love you guys. Has anybody on here made a stand up kit? Sometimes I like to play after a run for additional cardio, but don't like to sit down. I am using Aerodrums on a Mac mini, so moving drums around is pretty frustrating, at least with the 3d software.

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:15 pm

No I’ve never played a stand up kit...so that would be basically an Aerodrums ‘cocktail’ kit :) ...I guess it all depends if the camera can pick everything up within a wider area?.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Ringowig wrote:No I’ve never played a stand up kit...so that would be basically an Aerodrums ‘cocktail’ kit :) ...I guess it all depends if the camera can pick everything up within a wider area?.
Would you guys be willing to share any of the kits you have made? I try sometimes to move drums around and then it just gets too frustrating. I know it is my slow computer.

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi mate,

Not sure what you mean with ‘share’ a kit....Im not sure of any means to export kit settings within Aerodrums...maybe that’s possible?. I’m away at the moment so wouldn’t be able to check this for a week or so. I have a few different kits that I use on a regular basis but I often end up moving kit pieces around a bit, as my camera is not usually set exactly the same every time. I use a 4-5 yr old Windows laptop. I’m actually thinking of upgrading purely to run Aerodrums faster and smoother...but on the whole it works fine even on my old tiny Windows 8 Netbook with 10” screen.

Regards

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 pm

I NEED the camera stand!! :D ....

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:08 pm

I think it has more to do with the video card or graphics processing on my specific computer (Mac mini 2012).

I thought you could export drum settings manually from a specific folder.

and yes you definitely need the camera stand. Worth the purchase for sure.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:03 am

Regarding performance, Aerodrums' responsiveness doesn't really degrade progressively - it's either working as intended or it isn't. If the small rectangular performance indicator in the top left corner of the drumming screen is green (and reads 125 FPS) then everything is working optimally. If it is red then your computer is not performing well enough to keep up with Aerodrums. If the performance indicator is green but you still experience latency while drumming, this would indicate an issue with your audio device setup. On Mac, there generally won't be an issue but on Windows you may need to configure some Windows sound settings to achieve the best latency.

While it is possible to share drum kits by copying files around, for best results we recommend that you re-position drums using the 'Place all drums' option in the drumming menu. If you have trouble hitting particular drums or notice that a drum isn't where you expect it to be then re-positioning the drums is the best way to resolve this. When I have time I will write a more technical post explaining why.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:02 pm

@Ringowig
Ringowig wrote:so that would be basically an Aerodrums ‘cocktail’ kit
Hi
Very nice find. XD
Ringowig wrote:Not sure what you mean with ‘share’ a kit....Im not sure of any means to export kit settings within Aerodrums...maybe that’s possible?
Sure it’s possible, I’m doing this very often. I have Aerodrums installed on different computers with the same samples and kits on each one. Under Windows you can find your samples (if you have any) in the elements folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Aerodrums\data\elements and your kits in the drumkits folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Aerodrums\conf\drumkits. And thanks to the new camera stand this is reliable, I don’t feel any need to re-place things.
Ringowig wrote:I use a 4-5 yr old Windows laptop. I’m actually thinking of upgrading purely to run Aerodrums faster and smoother...but on the whole it works fine even on my old tiny Windows 8 Netbook with 10” screen.
Most of the time I was using Aerodrums in graphics mode 3 with an over 10 years old HP ProBook bought 2014 for 50€ with a Celeron P4500 1.87 GHz processor, Intel Graphics with 4GB of RAM and a Behringer USB sound-card for 20€. No latency!
Ringowig wrote:I sometimes set up a kit which consists of just a snare drum..that way there’s less distractions and I enjoy working through stickings, technique, reading..I.e the Buddy Rich book or something similar. Sometimes even just a regular practice pad can be too noisy in certain situations or time of day etc.
Me too. Last week I’ve sampled the snare pad of my YAMAHA SL1 kit (a silent drum set I’ve used for some years a long time ago) and I created an element file for Aerodrums. Now I even have a practice pad in Aerodrums!
Ringowig wrote:I also think that Aerodrums give you the muscle ‘facility’ to be able to play ‘off’ the head rather than digging into the drum.. this is just my own personal thought though..
If I understand your English words, it’s not only your impression, it’s also mine. Before starting to work with Aerodrums I was a little afraid if air-drumming wouldn’t make me playing harder on real drums. Finally it’s the contrary, I’m able to play more softly with better control. I have the impression that something I have mastered on Aerodrums I could play on each surface and in every volume I want with just little adaptation. I think it’s because we are used to work with our own rebound independent to a real surface.

@Richard
Good to see you back on the forum. Hope you had a nice Drum Show in Manchester.
Richard wrote:If the small rectangular performance indicator in the top left corner of the drumming screen is green (and reads 125 FPS) then everything is working optimally. If it is red then your computer is not performing well enough to keep up with Aerodrums. If the performance indicator is green but you still experience latency while drumming, this would indicate an issue with your audio device setup.
I understood that condordontsurf had his problems being in 3D mode, so he wouldn’t see the performance indicator.
condordontsurf wrote:I am using Aerodrums on a Mac mini, so moving drums around is pretty frustrating, at least with the 3d software.
For testing performance problems I start Aerodrums 3D in windows mode and place the two windows that I can see the performance indicator behind the 3D window. I can confirm that it can be very hard to move drums around in the 3D mode if you are running on a low-spec computer, I destroyed some kits like this. Just in going to the menu button elements will glue on my sticks and more I try to fix, worse it gets.

@condordontsurf
condordontsurf wrote:Would you guys be willing to share any of the kits you have made? I try sometimes to move drums around and then it just gets too frustrating. I know it is my slow computer.
I have no problem sharing a kit, but I don’t think it’s a good idea, you won’t be happy with it. Like Richard says, you should find out if you have performance problems. If your computer isn’t capable to run Aerodrums 3D, I would consider to use the 2D mode. Better having something less beautiful but more useful. Have you already tried to run Aerodrums 3D on a second computer or the Android/Ipad/Iphone App connected by network to your Mac mini?