Feature requests

admin
Site Admin

Feature requests

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:18 pm

This thread is for suggesting and discussing features that you would like us to add to Aerodrums.

Sipaliwini

Re: Feature requests

Post by Sipaliwini » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 am

Here are the main features that were requested by drummers who tried Aerodrums at NAMM:

1) Lower computer requirements (particularly remove the requirement for a dedicated graphics card) (Done)
2) MIDI output to trigger VST instruments (e.g. Superior Drummer) (Done)
3) Mac support (Done)
4) Custom sensor (primarily to get rid of visible light)
5) iOS support
6) Windows XP support
7) Version for hand drums

Here is the list of features requested by users that we are working on

1) Ability to quickly mute the drums (Done)
2) Make the Menu button less prone to be hit by accident while drumming
3) Improve the drum placement screen to prevent unwanted selections and placements
4) Hihat clutch interface
5) Sound device selection, possibly ASIO support
6) Remove the detection of hits on wide "upswings" (Hard problem)
7) Provide an interface to customize the MIDI map (this includes increasing the number of drum kit elements that can be triggered via MIDI)
8) "Listen" button on the drum kit element picking screen
9) Command-line mode and drumming screen exit to minimize the need to access the computer
10) Audio routing

There are also important features we are currently working on:

1) Hihat splashes

Don't hesitate to post here to request features and/or help us figure out which should have priority.
Last edited by Sipaliwini on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

norhythm

Post by norhythm » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Does this even need to be mentioned? :D

Aerodrums+Oculus=Drumsmith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRlnHkM9DvE

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 am

Haha, depends how many drummers there are out there who are also cutting edge gamers...

norhythm

Post by norhythm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:53 am

Sipaliwini wrote:Haha, depends how many drummers there are out there who are also cutting edge gamers...
True I don't know the market, but I'm sure the same things were said about the rocksmith/rockband/guitarhero genre.

I received a reply from someone who did something similar with the rift. This is oculus and the unity game engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRlnHkM9DvE#t=66

It sounds like the problem was the high latency of that intel tracking camera, but your latency is much lower!

tim@cappsnet.com

Post by tim@cappsnet.com » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:02 pm

From looking at the manual, I understand that recorded sessions are stored in an internal format, and that provision to export to WAV has been implemented. I'd really prefer to export to a standard MIDI file so I can pull it into my DAW and further manipulate it. I'm not necessarily wanting to record my live performance into the DAW, or generate MIDI output (though I can see why some folks would like that ability). I'm fine with exporting the recording as an intermediate step.

mba

Post by mba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 pm

I would like to have the computer near to me so i could watch tabs, youtube's video, change settings etc..easily.(perhaps a wifi cam)
I would like that the system tracks without light as for kinect. The light is annoying and sunglasses too.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

mba, this may not be very easy with a desktop setup, but the length of the camera cable (about 2 meters) enables you to drum fairly near to your screen by placing the camera further back (see http://aerodrums.com/manual/#setting-up-the-hardware , last paragraph for an illustration).

Making the camera wireless is a hard problem if you want to keep latency as low as it is in Aerodrums.

About the light, we are researching options for the design of our own sensor. One option is to use infra red light, but we would need to be certain that it is safe. Visible light has the advantage that you are aware of it.
(By the way, a setup with your computer screen near you and away from the line between you and the light will help if you find it annoying.)

We could not find a way to use a Kinect alone and still achieve the level of expressiveness that drummers expect. (And we're pretty sure it's not possible, but there are a lot of clever people out there :) )

mba

Post by mba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm

More localisation, perhaps in expert mode.
I would like that just the tom is activ.

mba

Post by mba » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Display the menu button on the drum screen (in the corner) in order to access to the playback system with the sticks.