Feature requests

stufflin

Re: Feature requests

Post by stufflin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:32 am

i would like standard midi output options like with any other midicontroller
for playing back samples its fine like this, but for any further creative use this is crucial.
e.g. simply playing a synth, let alone doing stuff in reaktor/max msp

so i would like to ask if its possible to add;

option to change midichannel/note/cc/mmc for each drum inside Aerodrums software (just would be more convenient then bending them in receiving prog)
option to have midi latching/toggling (only note one/note off)
option to have momentary midi (gating)
option to change on and off value, attack/release time

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:32 am

We will add support for specifying what MIDI note is sent for each drum/cymbal but we haven't considered the other features you mentioned. Some of them like latching sound useful and should be easy to support but the other features are unlikely to be added at the same time as the other MIDI changes.

theorganist

Post by theorganist » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Is it possible to make a VSTi version of Aerodrums?

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 pm

johnnyM1984

Post by johnnyM1984 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello, Richard! I would like to use this chance and sent you greetings from windy Moscow.

I would like to suggest the following improvements that came to my mind while using Aerodrums:
* use per-user settings file stored somewhere in %APPDATA% folder for instance; this also applies to recordings folder, mp3 track lists and custom drum kits as well.
* please use dynamically linking of openGL library instead of static linking because users may use openGL dlls that emulate 2.0 features in software.
* please update tracking algorithm to stop detecting hits outside of drum area on the screen.

I am going to purchase m12x0.5 mount for PS3 and is going to experiment with removable lenses. I would be glad to know if you have experimented with wide angle lenses in your lab? Frankly, I am not satisfied with large distance from the camera, I would like to play much closer. Do you think is it possible or wide angle will have drawbacks?

Thanks for your time and personal efforts spend on this fantastic software.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for these suggestions.
1. This is something we will look into fixing, especially on Mac where storing user data inside an application bundle is a very non-standard thing to do.
2. We do not statically link to OpenGL libraries. We do statically link to an OpenGL toolkit that is freely available in DLL form but the reason for static linkage here is that we had to make some modifications to the toolkit.
3. Improvements here are on the way. The first improvement will make the tracking more tolerant to bright lights in the background. The second improvement will provide distance-from-drum filtering so that hits don't trigger beyond some distance from a drum.

The lamp already contains a wide angle lens. One issue with using an even wider angle lens to accommodate sitting closer to the camera is that the image distortion becomes very severe and harder to account for. That said, we are in the process of reviewing this.

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm

I'd like to respectfully request the oft-mentioned never-seen software update to happen.. ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 am

There was a software update not so long ago bringing the current version to 1.0.22.
The two main features it introduces are:

1) The ability for Aerodrums to ignore bright objects, like uncovered windows or lit light bulbs, in the vicinity of the drummer.
This feature is accessed from the last setup screen, the one that shows in red the parts of the environment that are too bright.
In the past you only had the option to confirm that the red regions corresponded to your stick and foot markers, as opposed to other bright objects, by clicking the "Skip" button twice.
Now you can also click a "Compensate for bright objects" button.
After making sure that your stick and foot markers are out of view of the camera, you can then click again to make Aerodrums learn which parts of your environment to ignore because of brightness.
While Aerodrums learns, it is good to get out of view of the camera, so that you do not hide bright objects from the camera that may be behind you.
This feature will not enable you to play Aerodrums in generally bright environments, but it will save you the trouble of having to change your drumming location just because the camera could see a bright object.

2) The ability to tell Aerodrums what MIDI notes to send. As well as a set of pre-configured MIDI maps for the most popular drum samplers and DAWs. This feature is accessed by clicking the "MIDI maps..." button on the MIDI screen.

There are other changes which you can read about by following this link:
http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-change-log/

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 am

Ok that's encouraging thanks!

It would be handy to advertise updates on the forum as I often drop by here to see how things are going (rather than visit website) and saw no word about it!

Midi stuff and user tweaks welcome..

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 09, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks, we will remember to do that in future. Feel free to sign up to our mailing list as well if you don't want to miss future software updates and announcements. You can sign up here: http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums/