Midi glitching

Khalogen

Midi glitching

Post by Khalogen » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:49 pm

Hello everyone, i would greatly appreciate some help to solve midi issues on my mac system.
When i use midi only or midi and sound, i experience glitches that keep happening regularly, 10-15 sec glitch free then 5 sec glitch then 10-15 sec glitch free, etc…
Those glitches are : no sound or random hits, random dynamics, all of them at the same time.
I’ve been trying hard to solve this for 3 months now, upgraded my mbp 13”2015 16gb ram i5 for a macbook pro 14”m1 thinking my problem was a lack of cpu/gpu ressources.
I even did try to :
-midi network link my 2 machines to get one machine running aerodrums and the other machine running a sampler or logic pro. ( i tried both combinations of em as master and slave)
-I did try with and without an apogee duet 2 as soundcard.
-i tried different usb hubs on my mbp 14” and no hub on my mbp 13”
-my framerate is at 125 most of the time, dropping to 95 at some time.
-i have the latest updates on every software.
-all my softwares work glitch-free with a keyboard as midi input.

I feel desperate as i spent hours and money without solution.

My feeling is that there’s an issue with midi out in aerodrums on mac but i guess i won’t be the only one so i still have doubts if i tried everything .

Thanks for helping

Richard

Re: Midi glitching

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:13 am

On the MIDI screen in Aerodrums, could you try toggle the "MIDI note scheduler" setting to see if that fixes your issue. This has helped some other users that were having issues using Aerodrums with Cubase for example.

Khalogen

Post by Khalogen » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Hello Richard, thanks for your reply.
I already toggled off the midi scheduler as i’ve seen that solution on the forum’s posts.
I noticed 2 major glitch that were big on my system :

- The audio/midi starts glitching if the aerodrums interface is in the background of another program’s interface ( logic pro, addictive drums, kontakt or even apple music). So if i open any program i need to re-click on the aerodrums interface to be sure it appears first and full on my screen, and this makes a huge difference.

- I always used the aerodrums lower graphics mode to help my system but i recently noticed that only the full graphics mode doesn’t make the audio system starts glitching, so, any of the low graphics mode makes my system start glitching.

This two discovers make aerodrums and the midi output way more stable for me, my system is on mac os ventura

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 am

I guess it makes sense that Aerodrums performs better if it is the foreground window since it should be given a higher priority. I have also noticed in the past that not running Aerodrums fullscreen can improve performance a lot.

Your comment about Aerodrums performing better in the full graphics mode comes as a surprise. I will talk to Yann (who implemented the degraded graphics modes) about it. Thanks.

whatever123

Post by whatever123 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:03 pm

Sorry to jump on a long-dormant thread, but I have an M1 mac and have observed the same bugs are still a problem today:

* low graphics mode seems to use CPU, not GPU, and so it always performs poorly, choppy visuals and lots of dropped hits

* foregrounding another application badly degrades performance

However, there are easy workarounds. If I need to switch apps and tweak something, when I come back to aerodrums, I'll cycle through all graphics modes back to the fastest, and make sure to keep it foregrounded, and it works flawlessly for recording (midi out to DAW).

dlo

Post by dlo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:13 am

Hello - Jumping in here too, because I still have the same problem. I'm using a 16" MacBook Pro with an M1 Pro chip running MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2, and I'm experiencing the same exact things. The frame rate is generally stable when using Aerodrums alone, but when hooking it up to Logic Pro via midi the fps starts jumping down all over the place while playing. While idle it stays green at 125fps with random drops to the 90fps range. Once I start playing, it gets as low as 40fps then back to 125fps then 90fps, etc. The midi recording that comes out has huge timing issues and is completely botched at points.

I've tried different latency settings in Logic and nothing fixes it.

I've also noticed big fps drops while the Aerodrums application is not focused. The moment it is in the background the fps drops to the 50s-90s.

The fps is also much worse when using any of the "faster graphics" modes even while focused, the only one that even touches 125fps is the regular graphics mode.

I've checked out the activity monitor and my CPU and GPU usage never gets above 20-30% total, so I don't think it's a lack of computing power.

I was hoping to use Aerodrums to record a drum track for a friend's album, but it's pretty much unusable right now for anything other than practicing with the built-in sounds.

Any thoughts on how to fix these midi performance issues on Mac?

whatever123

Post by whatever123 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm

I typically record using Reaper, not Logic, but the steps that I listed above work perfectly for me for recording midi from aerodrums.

Have you tried starting the recording in Logic, then switching to Aerodrums, then cycling through all the different display modes in Aerodrums, landing back at the default display mode?

are you leaving the Aerodrums application focused and foregrounded while you record? focusing the DAW application instead seems to lead to problems.

it might be worth minimizing other apps while recording, just to reduce demands on the system.