Windows 11

Nuno

Windows 11

Post by Nuno » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Has anyone tried Aerodrums with Windows 11?
I installed in my W11 laptop and it runs normally, but in my son's laptop there is no audio.
His laptop had Windows 10 and this morning I installed Aerodrums. It worked, I just had to install ASIO4ALL due to latency issues.
After lunch I updated to Windows 11 and now Aerodrums says there is no audio device.
I've already reinstalled everything and there's still no audio.
Attachments
no audio device.jpg
no audio device.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 7345 times

Richard

Re: Windows 11

Post by Richard » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:51 am

Hmm, we haven't seen any issues like this with Windows 11. I assume all other applications are outputting audio just fine, right?

Does Aerodrums pop up any warnings then you run it?

Can you verify that Aerodrums is set to "No MIDI" mode by clicking the MIDI button on the home screen?

If you have USB or BlueTooth headphones plugged in could you try with these unplugged?

If none of that helps, could you attach a screenshot of the Latency screen (the screen before the one you attached). Thanks

Nuno

Post by Nuno » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:28 am

I'll try to capture some screens tonight or tomorrow.
There was a pop up when starting aerodrums saying the soundcard was being used by another program, but there wasn't any program open. After some time the pop up stopped, but aerodrums kept opening without sound.

There is sound in windows, it's not a hardware issue.
There are no USB or BlueTooth headphones plugged in. I only use built-in speakers or wired headphones.

It was working fine with W10, so I believe it was the upgrade to W11 that caused the problem.
In my laptop I upgraded to W11 first and only after that I installed aerodrums. It's working fine.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm

Could you try the following - it's not a fix but it might give some clues as to the cause of the issue...

Unplug the camera, restart the computer and run Aerodrums. Then see if the Latency screen is the same or if it lists any audio devices now.

Regarding the "program" using the sound card - it could be some audio enhancement software that is taking exclusive control of the sound card. I might be wrong but I think some DELL laptops ship with something called Waves MaxxAudio that behaves like this. It might be possible to disable it but I'm not sure if that will solve your problem.

Nuno

Post by Nuno » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:19 pm

I believe I already tried that but will try again paying more attention this time.
In my Dell laptop with W11 is working. The laptop with the problem is InSys.

Is there any way to fully remove aerodrums and drivers from the system? Uninstall doesn't clean everything, it keeps some "residues".
It might be the way to fix this. In a fresh install it should work.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:57 am

Another thing you could try:
Run Windows Device Manager and plug in the camera. A sound device called "USB Camera-B4.09.24.1" should appear under the category "Sound, video and game controllers". Can you right-click on this device and select disable and then try run Aerodrums again to see if it helped?

In terms of uninstalling completely, in the Device Manager, if you still see the camera (when plugged in) listed under "Sound, video and game controllers" or "libusb-win32 devices" then you can try right-click on these and select uninstall drivers - also make sure to tick the checkbox telling Windows to remove all driver files.

Nuno

Post by Nuno » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:23 pm

Today I had time to make some tests.
The problem persists.

1st screen is the error that shows when starting aerodrums.
step1.jpg
step1.jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
2nd screen is from the Latency menu, as Richard asked.
step2.jpg
step2.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
3rd screen is what shows when I try to change sound device.
step3.jpg
step3.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
I tried everything except reinstall windows. Removed asio4all and aerodrums references from registry, restarted several times, reinstalled aerodrums without asio4all, disabled windows camera driver from device manager... it's always the same.

One thing that keeps bugging me is sound format. My windows default is 24 bits 48KHz, I can't change it.
I remember reading in this forum that aerodrums only works with 16 bits 48Khz. Am I right? Could this be causing the problem?

Richard, thank you for your help so far.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:07 am

Aerodrums requires an audio device that supports 44.1 kHz. I'm not sure that explains why the device list is empty in Aerodrums though and it doesn't explain the popup warning you see when running Aerodrums. Also, ASIO4ALL nearly always works when a sound card's Exclusive WASAPI drivers don't support 44.1 kHz but it doesn't seem to be working in your case.

We use something called PortAudio for sound support. Lots of other software uses it too, including Audacity, a popular audio editor. I would be curious to know if you can hear sound when you run Audacity on your computer. If you want to try it you get download it from https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

It may be that the most expedient fix for your problem is to purchase an external USB sound card. Here is one for $9 that we have used in the past and it works fine with very low latency: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... 00IRVQ0F8/