Hi-Hat always closed AD2 w/ Fl Studio 20

jbusom

Hi-Hat always closed AD2 w/ Fl Studio 20

Post by jbusom » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi guys, I've contacted aerodrums support about this problem but we weren't able to solve it.

Basically, as the title says, my hi-hat using Addictive Drums 2 with midi through fl studio 20 is always closed and doesn't take into account the position of the pedal. I tried it on Ableton and it worked fine, so its definitely a Fl problem. I saw another post about this but its from 2017 and they didn't t even end up solving it (op had same problem as me with the same daw and plugin)

If someone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.
Things I've done:
- Midi map AD selected on aerodrums software
- Standard midi map on AD2 with the tick of invert pedal(or whatever parameter it says to invert in the software)
- Open hat closed hat paramter not checked in the software

Sipaliwini

Re: Hi-Hat always closed AD2 w/ Fl Studio 20

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:06 pm

Hello, it was me we tried to help.

Did you find how to reset a plugin in FL to reset AD2 there?

If you couldn't find any info on this. Did you try removing the AD2 plugin from FL and adding it back in?

It that fails it would also probably be worth a try to uninstall AD2 and reinstall it in between removing it from FL and adding it back in.

I couldn't find the forum post from 2017 where the issue wasn't solved. Could you point me to it?

It's in March 2017 that we released the MIDI map feature in Aerodrums, so troubleshooting info on MIDI mapping issues from before that will be obsolete.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:17 pm

My colleague Richard found this that I think will solve your issue:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ie

Could you let me know the outcome after you try it?

Extracts:

"FL ignores all CCs (no MIDI support) until you map them to something. You will need to map CC4 to CC4 (as daft as it sounds)."

"If anyone is interested, here is a very brief synopsis:
-Ensure that you have your MIDI ins out set up. Check the port numbers assigned to the inputs/outputs. Remember that these are FL-internal IDs and just refer to the MIDI data streams in FL.
-Add MIDI Out plugin and set the MIDI ports accordingly (see above).
In the case of a drum kit, you probably need to set the MIDI channel (top left) to 10, the default drum channel.
-Click on the gear icon to assign one of the knobs in the MIDI Out to CC4 (i.e. controller 4, type "CC"). Give it a name so you know what it is.
-Right-click the knob and select Link to controller.
-Either press the hihat pedal or enter the correct parameters (i.e. controller 4). My note for this case: CC 4 indeed.
-Record MIDI including the hihat pedal, and check in the piano roll that CC4 data has been recorded. You can choose what data is displayed at the bottom - switch this to CC4 to see the hihat data.
"

jbusom

Post by jbusom » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:44 am

The thing is FL gets the midi of me pressing the pedal hi hat but not the travel, if that makes sense. So I can't link it cause it's not even getting there in the first place

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:08 pm

If I understand you correctly, you can get the stream of openness CC value by unticking the "Send openness only on hihat hits" checkbox in Aerodrums.

It's odd that this would be needed to follow the steps, since even with the box ticked, a CC value is sent each time you hit the hihat with the stick.

In both cases, FL is receiving the CC data that is needed to decide at what openness the hihat hits should be played back, it's just not passing it on to AD2.

I think you are almost there in getting it to work, don't give up :)

jbusom

Post by jbusom » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:17 am

Ok! We're making some progress. Now i'm getting midi from the hh pedal. And I've linked it to a knob in Midi Out but I assigned it the same way that FL forum described and nothing changed. At least we're getting the midi info.