MIdi and Open Hi Hat

jc_aero

MIdi and Open Hi Hat

Post by jc_aero » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:02 am

Hi

I have the following problem with the hihat when I work with aerodrums by midi with a vst: while I play with the hihat closed, everything is fine. The first time I open it, as if to bark, it sounds closed when I hit the first time, and it doesn't bark, of course. Then on subsequent beats in the song, it works fine, ie open when I open and closed when I close. Then if I stop hitting the hihat for a while, it misbehaves again on the first open hit, only the first... does that make sense?

I have tried different combinations in the midi settings, but I can't find the solution.

Greetings

Wolfgang

Re: MIdi and Open Hi Hat

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi,
Personally I have never seen this, but which vsti are you speaking about, and are you using the right MIDI map for it? Also do two or three hits with your hi-hat (foot) before starting to play.

jc_aero

Post by jc_aero » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:26 am

Its Addictive Drums 2, and i'm using the midi map and the settings following instructions from aerodrums.

About hitting the hihat before playing ... Thats the thing: the open hihat "wakes up" when i touch the hihat pedal just one time, and it keeps working til i stop using it for a while, then the open hihat goes to sleep till i wake it up again. So the first open hit always fails.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:20 pm

I haven't seen an issue like this myself when using Addictive Drums 2. If the issue also occurs when using the built-in Aerodrums samples instead of MIDI then it's definitely not related to Addictive Drums 2.

By any chance are you using more than one hi-hat and kick pedal? I'm wondering if your issue could be related to the hi-hat drop clutch feature that allows you to set how open the hi-hat is when your foot is over the hi-hat pedal.

jc_aero

Post by jc_aero » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:45 pm

The problem doesn't exist using the built-in samples. And I'm only using one pedal for hihat and kick.

Thanks for trying to help me. Anyway, no big deal; I'll stick to the built-in sounds.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:56 pm

In the Aerodums MIDI screen there is a setting labelled "Hihats - Only send openness before note". I'm not sure if it will help but I think it's worth trying.

jc_aero

Post by jc_aero » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:30 am

I've just got myself a Roland E-drum Kit and I've connected it through midi to AD2 and it's happening exactly the same. Everything works ok, but the open hihat needs to be waken up before use. So the problem is related to Addictive drums 2.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:53 am

Thanks for letting us know. I have played Aerodrums with AD2 a good bit and never had the issue you described so I'm wondering if it could be some setting in AD2 that you changed at some point. Not sure off hand what that could be though.