Edge/centered assignments when adding samples?

dede50

Edge/centered assignments when adding samples?

Post by dede50 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 am

Hi, I have samples from Drumdrops (RogerRDub kit). I know,as stated in the Aerodrums manual, that it is possible to assign dominant/non dominant and openess to some elements of the kit but I'd like to know if it can assign edge/centered hits on the elements. This kit contains these sorts of samples and that'd be cool to use it in a proper way.Thx!

Richard

Re: Edge/centered assignments when adding samples?

Post by Richard » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am

Hi, we have implemented and experimented with this feature in the past but we never ended up releasing it, mainly because most of the drum pieces that we have samples for only have centered hits. That said, there are interesting things we could do like increasing the pitch of the drum sample as you hit closer to the rim. Thanks for reminding us about this, we will consider adding it in a future software update.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 am

Just to add to what Richard said, in the spirit of working around the current lack of "positional sensing":

-if there is a strong correlation between edge/centered and hit speed, for example edge hits are always harder, when building your folder of samples to give Aerodrums, let's say you have samples for 20 velocities for edge and centered, you can mix them by using the 10 quieter samples from "centered" and the 10 louder samples from "edge". (similar to how some Aerodrums snares deal with rimshots).

-you can emulate a poor man's positional sensing by placing a different element with the edge hits at appropriate locations near the element with the centered hits.

dede50

Post by dede50 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am

Yes, put it in the same folder can work but if the volume differences of the sound are not important between these samples that'd be hard when playing to be able to choose the kind of hit (edge/centered). So it'll mix them in a hazardous way, I may try it, as it can give some liveness but at the same time less fluidity and coherence in the playing. That may give good results on certain elements and not on orhers. The other solution is safer I think.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Yes, if there is no correlation, as in, you may want to hit on the edge hard or soft and at the center hard or soft in equal measures, then it won't work to mix samples in the element, as you will loose control of your playing.