Nvidia Ultra Low Latency Mode

rainsoul

Nvidia Ultra Low Latency Mode

Post by rainsoul » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Hello,

Nvidia introduced this feature not so long ago as a means to reduce input lag for gaming purpose. I am wondering if this setting has any relevance for aerodrums and what is the optimal setting for this feature for aerrodrums. Or if it has no impact on aerodrums:

The options on Nvidia Ultra Low latency mode are: OFF, ON and UlTRA
The setting can be found if you go to nvidia control panel and choose the aerodrums.exe file in the Nvidia Manage 3d settings panel. Thanks

Richard

Re: Nvidia Ultra Low Latency Mode

Post by Richard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 am

I imagine this Nvidia setting pertains to frame buffering and graphics latency and has nothing to do with audio latency so I don't think it matters what this is set to or, if it does matter, the effect will be very small. As long as the performance indicator in the top left corner of the Aerodrums drumming screen is green and not red you should be fine.

If it is green then it means your computer is keeping up with streaming and processing the images from the camera. If that is the case and you still feel like the latency while drumming is noticeable then you should look at the audio settings. On Windows, in most cases, the Exclusive WASAPI option (on the Aerodrums Latency screen) provides the lowest latency but if you're not happy with it then it's worth trying ASIO (e.g. by installing the free driver from asio4all.org). Please let me know if you need help with any of this.

rainsoul

Post by rainsoul » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:41 am

hello, thanks for your reply. I use exclusive wasapi and latency performance is ok. but i am wondering if asio offers an even superior performance? If so I would like to try it out.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 am

Many external USB sound cards and audio interfaces come with their own ASIO drivers. These would normally give very low latency.

If you're not using additional hardware like this then ASIO4ALL can still be used and gives relatively good latency.

If the latency from using Exclusive WASAPI is very good then you'll probably find that ASIO4ALL is no better, at least that's the case in my experience. The reason I mention ASIO4ALL at all is that some WASAPI drivers are poorly implemented and give bad latency. On my DELL XPS laptop, for example, recent versions of the RealTek audio drivers seem to have regressed in terms of WASAPI latency.

If you find that the latency is noticeable at all then I think it's worth trying ASIO4ALL and setting the ASIO buffer size to 64 in the ASIO control panel. Once you install the ASIO4ALL driver, run Aerodrums and go to the Latency screen and you should then have an option to select ASIO as the audio device.

rainsoul

Post by rainsoul » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 pm

I use audioquest dragonfly black soundcard, if that helps. It was supposed to be a decent/good usb soundcard when it came out and cost me around 100 pounds if I am not mistaken. I am happy with my current setup. When you mentioned ASIO I just wondered if this could give even better performance. But as I understand it may not be the case. So I think its best for me to stick to Exclusive wasapi? Actually I don't know if dragon fly black comes with ASIO drivers so I will have to check that.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 pm

If your soundcard doesn't come with it's own ASIO drivers then you probably won't see any benefit from installing ASIO4ALL. The main reason to try ASIO4ALL would be if you are experiencing poor latency with Exclusive WASAPI which might suggest that your soundcard drivers don't do a good job handling it.

rainsoul

Post by rainsoul » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm

ok thanks a lot