Launching Aerodrums crashes audio driver

SoapySam

Launching Aerodrums crashes audio driver

Post by SoapySam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Good afternoon,

I have installed Aerodrums on my new laptop, using all default settings. It picked the camera up first time which was great.

However, upon launching the Aerodrums application (not clicking anything thereafter, purely just launching Aerodrums).

Restarting the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service obviously brings the driver back up, but upon launching Aerodrums again, it goes again.

Symptoms: Before launching Aerodrums, everything is fine.
After launching Aerodrums, any sound (system sound, application sound, speaker/headphone test) causes a loud static noise over the sound that is being played for a couple of seconds. Any use of any sound device causes this, until the service is restarted as above.

Troubleshooting steps attempted:

1. Cycled through the different audio device options in AeroDrums. Same results for all, except:
1a. When I test ASIO4ALL V2 I get no sound whatsoever, system audio is still broken
1b. When I test 'Headphones (Realtek HD Audio 2)' I get an error message:

'Could not initialize the audio device, Aerodrums will not be able to output audio. Please check if a program that requires exclusive access to your default sound card is running. For example, an audio program configured to use ASIO through the ASIO4All driver. Please ignore this warning if you intend to trigger that program with Aerodrums (e.g. a drum sampler)'

There are no other programs running.
2. Restarted machine.
3. Disabled and re-enabled devices in device manager.
4. Restarted all audio-related services
5. Updated all of my drivers (they were already up to date) and checked through Windows Update for any updates.
6. Removed and re-installed Aerodrums, checking for latest version (confirmed latest version, installer is 1-1-1)

Setup: Lenovo ideapad gaming 3i 15imh05
Processor: i5 10300h
RAM: 8gb, single channel
GPU: GTX 1650 TI
Windows Version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Storage: 256gb SSD (100+gb free)

I'm looking to play Aerodrums into FL Studio, but just being able to play at all would be a great start!

Thanks,

Sam

Richard

Re: Launching Aerodrums crashes audio driver

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Sam, sorry to hear you're having problems.

When switching to a different audio device in Aerodrums, after choosing the new option, I recommend quitting Aerodrums, making sure your system audio is working and then restarting Aerodrums again to see if it works. Can you try this with the "Shared WASAPI" option to see if the same thing happens?

Also, are you using an external audio interface and if so, which one? There was a known issue with Digidesign drivers for the MBox audio interface for which we had a workaround.

The other thing you can try is to set the Aerodrums audio device to "None". Then, on the MIDI screen, set it to "MIDI Only". If you then restart Aerodrums it should not attempt to initialize any audio device but will send MIDI notes so you may be able to connect it to FL Studio this way. (There is a tutorial video here on setting up MIDI with Aerodrums if you get stuck: https://aerodrums.com/using-aerodrums-w ... -samplers/)

SoapySam

Post by SoapySam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your swift response.

Over the past couple of hours I re-imaged my laptop and re-seated all hardware on the main board just to be sure, and the audio crashing issue seems to have cleared after reinstalling Aerodrums after the above!

Apologies for the false alarm... Hopefully the audio gremlins stay away.

Thanks again for your response.

KR,

Sam

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Ok, great to hear that! Let us know if you run into any more issues.

SoapySam

Post by SoapySam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Funny you should mention... :D

After playing around with the settings, I've managed to find an option with a tolerable amount of latency, using the device ASIO4ALL v2 (every other device produces unplayable latency, although maybe I'm doing something wrong).

However, when using ASIO4ALL v2, the sound only comes out of my laptop - which a) sounds pretty bad, and b) is too quiet.

When I let Aerodrums choose the best device, it puts the sound through my headphones fine, but the latency (even if I decrease the buffer size to 0.3ms 14 samples) it a killer.

Is there any way to route ASIO4ALL v2 through headphones? When this device is selected, the audio API selector has both WASAPI options greyed out, and the available one says 'ASIO. (Use your sound card's control anel for best latency settings). The latency is fine, but can it be routed to headphones?

I feel like I'm so close :!:

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm

SoapySam wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Is there any way to route ASIO4ALL v2 through headphones? When this device is selected, the audio API selector has both WASAPI options greyed out, and the available one says 'ASIO. (Use your sound card's control anel for best latency settings). The latency is fine, but can it be routed to headphones?
You cannot use WASAPI and ASIO in the same time, so it’s normal they are greyed out. But I don’t understand why you want to go the ASIO way, if you do not have dedicated ASIO drivers from your manufacturer. ASIO4ALL isn’t really a new driver for your sound-card, it’s just a wrapper which makes believe the programmes which uses it, that they are dialling with an ASIO compatible card. For me it cannot make your sound-card faster, because it adds additional processing.
For an internal sound-card (and Windows 10) you should stick with WASPI at 44.1 khz 16 bit and deinstall ASIO4ALL.

I was searching if FL studio supports WASAPI, but I didn’t get a clear find. But I found out that FL studio ships with an ASIO driver build around WASAPI, the fl studio asio driver. Also something you could try, if you want to use fl studio. More here:

https://audiosex.pro/threads/how-can-i- ... ers.41517/

If you still want to go the ASIO4ALL way, your problem with the headphones might find a soulution here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ix.313650/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comment ... _asio4all/

But the best thing you can do with a Windows computer is to get yourself an external sound-card with DEDICATED ASIO drivers, not generic ones like ASIO4ALL. You can find USB-cards from about 20€ up to several hundred €. Just make sure before buying, that they have their own drivers!

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 pm

As per Wolfgang's links, I also suggest looking at the ASIO4ALL control panel to see if some headphone device is disabled.

It's unfortunate that you're not getting good latency with the Exclusive WASAPI device. I know that there is an issue with the Realtek audio drivers on DELL XPS 15 (and probably other models) where WASAPI gives much worse latency then it should. The solution there is to revert to the generic Microsoft HD Audio drivers. Doing this completely fixes the latency problem compared to the Realtek drivers. I don't know if this is applicable to you but it might be worth trying.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:23 pm

I am actually getting this on a mac. Havent used aerodrums in a while on this computer. Over the summer it used to work and haven't updated.