Aerodrums configuration with ableton 10

legoman

Aerodrums configuration with ableton 10

Post by legoman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Hello, I cannot seem to find a step by step tutorial on how to connect aerodrums with ableton and use Ezdrummer (on windows with ASIO4ALL).
I have tried connecting it using the instructions on the aerodrums website video but without success. I can see that when I move the drumsticks they hit the Ezdrummer kit, but without any sound. I must have missed some important configuration step.
Can someone help please?

Cheers

Richard

Re: Aerodrums configuration with ableton 10

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Is it the case that when you have everything running - Aerodrums, Ableton and EZdrummer - you are not able to get any sound from Ableton?

If so, can you try this to see if it helps:
1. On the Aerodrums MIDI screen make sure it is set to use "MIDI Only" and not "MIDI and Sounds".
2. Close everything and then run Ableton/EZdrummer followed by Aerodrums.

legoman

Post by legoman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am

Thank you Richard. As soon as I get the chance to test again I will get back to you. Appreciate you taking the time to help.

legoman

Post by legoman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 am

I have already tested with success following your suggestion.
Thanks for your help! Cheers.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am

Ok great. This is only a problem on Windows. Just to explain what is happening - if Aerodrums is set to use the Exclusive WASAPI audio device (the recommended option) then it will try to take exclusive control over the audio device. If you subsequently run Ableton then it may fail to access the audio device at all since Aerodrums has claimed it. I believe this is why you don't hear any sound from Ableton/EZdrummer. By running Ableton before Aerodrums, it is Aerodrums that will fail to access the audio device but that's ok here since you don't need sound output from Aerodrums.

Can I ask - were you already on the "MIDI Only" option or did you switch from "MIDI & Sounds" to "MIDI Only"?

legoman

Post by legoman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm

I was already on "Midi Only", but I noticed that changing to "Midi & Sounds" produced sound coming from the drums, but it failed to produce sound from Ableton.

I truly appreciate your detailed explanation.
Cheers