Unwanted sounds (mainly high-tom and crash)

casin0r0yale7

Unwanted sounds (mainly high-tom and crash)

Post by casin0r0yale7 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi all. I have no idea if this is an issue that some people have, but so often I find that if I'm playing a beat that involves a lot of crash, whenever hit the crash 6/10 it picks up the high-tom as well since its positioned next to it (its quiet but definitely noticeable) and this can be a nightmare if I'm trying to record. I tried move the crash and snare further apart or dropping the toms sensitivity but it doesn't seem to remedy the issue. This sometimes happens when I'm playing the ride as well were it will pick up the floor tom as well. I assume at least someone has found this annoying as well, so do you have any advice on how to try and stop this at all? Would be very grateful :)

Richard

Re: Unwanted sounds (mainly high-tom and crash)

Post by Richard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Aerodrums will detect a hit when the stick tip is on a downward trajectory and comes to a stop. Once it detects a hit, it triggers the closest drum to the stick tip. So when you hit a particular drum you need to make sure that the stick is closer to the drum you intend to hit than any other drum. With that in mind, here are some tips...

- It may be that after hitting the crash you are following through on the motion such that the stick continues moving down and triggers the high tom. If so then it might help to consciously bring the stick back up after a hit.

- It is possible that you are swinging your stick too far back after hitting the crash and this is triggering a second, unintended hit on the high tom at the end of the backswing. Even if it's not your normal playing style, I suggest trying to reduce the arc you make with the stick after hitting the crash to see if this helps.

- You should try to reposition the crash and high tom keeping in mind that when you place the crash by doing a hitting gesture, your hit position does not correspond to the centre of the crash but rather the point at which you will normally hit it (I'm assuming you are using the 2D view and not Aerodrums 3D). In other words, you should not pay much attention to how the graphical icons appear on the screen.

If none of this helps then it would useful if you could share a video so I can see exactly what's causing the unintentioned hits on the high tom.