Aerobound - the air drumming "rebound"

InTheWorks

Aerobound - the air drumming "rebound"

Post by InTheWorks » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:33 pm

I noticed that you can emulate a free stroke or full stroke with air drumming and this action needed a name. Since rebound was out of the question, I decided to call it Aerobound.

I imagine that most of us learn to hit a drum using a full stroke. The idea is to throw the stick at the pad or drum and then let it rebound back up to the top. The hand is opened so as not to impede the stick.

Rebound:
rebound.gif
rebound.gif (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1668 times
Well you can do the same thing without a pad or drum. The idea is the same. Throw the stick at the nonexistent drum and then get your hand out of the way of the nonexistent rebound. By moving your hand out of the way of what
would be a rebounding stick, the air drum stick will follow your hand.

Aerobound:
aerobound.gif
aerobound.gif (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1668 times
This creates Aerobound, which is the action of the wrist returning the stick to a vertical position. It can be done slowly at first, unlike with rebound. I find that this is helping my weak hand adapt to air drumming.

The above is not a perfect execution, but it's best take I could get trying not to hit the pad and stay within the video frame. It can look more like the rebound example. with fingers more straight and parallel to each other. There is also a bit of lag at the bottom of the stroke as the stick hits the palm. I noticed that it's there in the Aerodrums 2 kickstarter Update and may be a result of waiting for the tactile feedback. And, if you ask me, I think nicer versions of these two images need to be in that post. They complete the picture of what Aerobound is.

If you think this is a useful exercise and want to use it as a workout, please be very careful. Use lightweight sticks. The Aerodrum sticks are good, but so are 5A maple sticks. Stay away from heavier sticks. That means not larger than 5A and not a heavier material like hickory. Maple or whatever the Aerodrum sticks are made of are good choices. And at least, at first, treat it like an exercise with reps and sets. Maybe 10 sets, 3 reps. Allow 48 hours for your tendons to adapt before repeating the exercise. This should avoid "too much, too soon" overuse injuries, but I am not a medical professional.