Aerodrums 2

InTheWorks

Re: Aerodrums 2

Post by InTheWorks » Wed May 31, 2023 1:21 am

condordontsurf wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 am
Personally, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to check the kickstarter and see I have to pay more just because I was an hour late. I would have done a preorder when you first started sending emails a few weeks ago, because I am a loyal user of the brand.
I didn't catch the 'super early bird' price either. For the same reason. So you're not alone, if that makes you feel any better.

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 am

A question about the audio outputs. You've got pictures of a guy on stage with a couple of guitars. How is he connected to the PA system?

I don't do live music, so I ask mostly out of curiosity. I've been watching videos on how some people build their IEM rigs. Most of these guys have a rack that all their instruments and mics plug into that goes into cable snake that goes to the PA's mixing board. The drums usually get 8 or so XLR mic channels.

It seems like Aerodrums 2 is positioned as "professional" audio gear. How do you get 8 XLR outputs from it?

I see it says multi-channel audio is available via usb, but how would you use that on stage? The usb-c connector is not a locking connector either.

Ah and does the usb-c connector provide 7.5W or 15W and is that part of the 60W mentioned before?

I'm also thinking about how this might be used for a headphone jam without a DAW. But I don't know of any products that would interface to the Aerodrums 2 with usb-c.

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Wed May 31, 2023 4:12 am

I can't stop looking over the kickstarter page.

I noticed that the notation is all stems up. Is there an option to display in a hands and feet notation where hands are stems up and feet are stems down? I despise stems up notation. The drums and cymbals is another notation standard that I've see and don't care for. Doesn't make sense for drumset. There's a good overview here if it's not familiar:

https://www.onlinedrummer.com/blogs/dru ... m-notation

And for playalongs it says the drums are removed, but can they not be removed? It's really hard to hear what I've missed if the original drums are removed.

Earlier I mentioned Rocksmith and my question about Rocksmith's Riff Repeater feature was aimed at the Rock Band, Guitar Hero and Clone Hero stuff. I see playlongs support that ability, but it's not clear if playalongs and the Rock Band, Guitar Hero and Clone Hero stuff are related.

What is the latency? It says low, but now that you're on dedicated hardware and can control the audio latency, what is it?

Is the distance between the camera and the drum throne the same for Aerodrums 2 as it is for Aerodrums 1? It would be nice if it was closer.

I guess the last question I have is in regards to the laser pointers. With Aerodrums 1 you have the option of setting the camera off centre and sometimes you have to. If you place the drum pieces with the camera off-centre it's still playable. Will that still be possible with Aerodrums 2?

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Wed May 31, 2023 5:11 am

Nope. More questions.

My DTXM12 has two audio outputs. It has a 1/4" stereo jack for headphones with a volume control pot on the back. It also has two 1/4" mono jacks for L/R line outputs with a separate volume knob on the front. Finally, the aux input is also a 1/4" stereo jack with a volume control pot on the back. As you can see the volume controls are all analog.

The stereo outs are useful to send elsewhere while having headphones plugged in. Although I've never used it that way someone at Yamaha thought it was a good idea. Aerodrums 2 can't do that. Though you could send the headphones out with an adapter cable if they support line level output in it's various flavours: +4dBV or -10dBu.

There don't appear to be any physical controls on the Aerodrums 2 so how do you control the headphone and aux volume without an app? Because it doesn't seem like Aerodrums 2 can work entirely standalone...

log@n

Post by log@n » Wed May 31, 2023 8:55 am

If I understand the goal value is 57898€. At this time the value is 73356€. So, can we consider the project right now as definitively reached? I suppose it is and production can start.... :)

log@n

Post by log@n » Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 am

And other technical question : what is the bluetooth and wifi version?
Thanks

newbreednet

Post by newbreednet » Wed May 31, 2023 11:53 am

InTheWorks wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 am
A question about the audio outputs. You've got pictures of a guy on stage with a couple of guitars. How is he connected to the PA system?

I don't do live music, so I ask mostly out of curiosity. I've been watching videos on how some people build their IEM rigs. Most of these guys have a rack that all their instruments and mics plug into that goes into cable snake that goes to the PA's mixing board. The drums usually get 8 or so XLR mic channels.

It seems like Aerodrums 2 is positioned as "professional" audio gear. How do you get 8 XLR outputs from it?

I see it says multi-channel audio is available via usb, but how would you use that on stage? The usb-c connector is not a locking connector either.

Ah and does the usb-c connector provide 7.5W or 15W and is that part of the 60W mentioned before?

I'm also thinking about how this might be used for a headphone jam without a DAW. But I don't know of any products that would interface to the Aerodrums 2 with usb-c.
It seems that there are at least two ways of connecting Aerodrums 2 to a PA. One would be to use a 3.5mm aux audio cable, this would provide a stereo output to the PA mixer, where the level could be controlled with a fader on the mixer. Perhaps the mobile/tablet app can be used to set individual drum levels (make kick/snare louder, etc) and then once this is "saved" to the Aerodrums 2 sensor, it will remember these levels for future performances (without the need for the app)?

Another way of connecting to the PA would be to use the USB-MIDI to a laptop that is hosting some sort of drum sampling software. Individual kit piece volumes would then be adjusted in the software.

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that USB provides no power, the power brick or perhaps some sort of power bank is required.

Re: a headphone jam without a DAW, do you mean using the bluetooth connection to send, for example, "drumless" songs from YouTube to the Aerodrums, and then you could use your headphones connected to the Aerodrums 2 to hear both the music from YouTube and your Aerodrums playing? I think this is how it will work.
Last edited by newbreednet on Wed May 31, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newbreednet

Post by newbreednet » Wed May 31, 2023 12:02 pm

InTheWorks wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:11 am
Nope. More questions.

My DTXM12 has two audio outputs. It has a 1/4" stereo jack for headphones with a volume control pot on the back. It also has two 1/4" mono jacks for L/R line outputs with a separate volume knob on the front. Finally, the aux input is also a 1/4" stereo jack with a volume control pot on the back. As you can see the volume controls are all analog.

The stereo outs are useful to send elsewhere while having headphones plugged in. Although I've never used it that way someone at Yamaha thought it was a good idea. Aerodrums 2 can't do that. Though you could send the headphones out with an adapter cable if they support line level output in it's various flavours: +4dBV or -10dBu.

There don't appear to be any physical controls on the Aerodrums 2 so how do you control the headphone and aux volume without an app? Because it doesn't seem like Aerodrums 2 can work entirely standalone...
If you look on the kickstarter page, keep going down the page until you get to the picture section for "How Aerodrums 2 works", the picture for "Step 2" of the guide seems to show a couple of buttons on the bottom front of Aerodrums 2. I'm sure in time we'll find out what they are for :)

newbreednet

Post by newbreednet » Wed May 31, 2023 12:05 pm

log@n wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:55 am
If I understand the goal value is 57898€. At this time the value is 73356€. So, can we consider the project right now as definitively reached? I suppose it is and production can start.... :)
Well we can certainly hope so :) Near the bottom of the kickstarter page is a timeline for projected future events, it says manufacturing is hoping to start in October 2023 for delivery in November ;)

newbreednet

Post by newbreednet » Wed May 31, 2023 12:14 pm

InTheWorks wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:12 am

Is the distance between the camera and the drum throne the same for Aerodrums 2 as it is for Aerodrums 1? It would be nice if it was closer.
It was confirmed on the Facebook group that Aerodrums 2 will place its laser dots (where your feet go) approximately 1.2m away from the stand. ;)