Aerodrums 2

JesDes

Re: Aerodrums 2

Post by JesDes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:16 am

I figured it was too late to ask at this point, but I would also be interested in putting in an order on a remaining Aerodrums 2 Kickstarter slot if possible. Would that be alright?

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:14 pm

Sent you a PM.

uglybassplayer

Post by uglybassplayer » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:50 am

@Richard / @Sipaliwini,

Can you give us an idea of what the latency will be with the Aerodrums 2?
While playing Aerodrums 1 on my 2018 Macbook Pro (i7), the latency is extremely low... pretty much instantaneous, but on my ASUS Rog Zephyrus g14 is pretty disappointing.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:56 pm

It is hard to make absolute measurements but we have measured the audio latency of Aerodrums 1 running on a MacBook and compared it to Aerodrums 2 and they are basically identical (give or take a couple of milliseconds). We're very happy with this and we don't believe there is much that could be done to improve it further.

That is disappointing about your ASUS laptop. Are you using the Exclusive WASAPI setting in Aerodrums with a low buffer size? Occasionally we have come across audio drivers that don't do a good job with WASAPI so it might be worth checking for audio driver updates. If you haven't tried it I also suggest installing ASIO4ALL (a free ASIO driver for Windows) and restarting Aerodrums - you will then be able to select an 'ASIO' option from the Latency screen. This usually gives good results. Another option if you really want to get a good experience is to purchase an external USB soundcard that is known to work well with Exclusive WASAPI. Here's one that we have tried for $9 that does the job:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... 00IRVQ0F8/

macmal

Post by macmal » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:55 pm

Hello everyone. Another latecomer here :)

@Richard
Could you please send me information about the possibility of joining Kickstarter campaign?

apaszkie

Post by apaszkie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:59 am

@Richard I'm also interested in joining the Kickstarter campaign. Earlier I sent a question about this on Kickstarter but I didn't get a reply, I found this thread just now...

JesDes

Post by JesDes » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:27 am

Richard wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:56 pm
It is hard to make absolute measurements but we have measured the audio latency of Aerodrums 1 running on a MacBook and compared it to Aerodrums 2 and they are basically identical (give or take a couple of milliseconds). We're very happy with this and we don't believe there is much that could be done to improve it further.
Does this mean it's a couple of ms less or more than before? I'm assuming less, and if so, thank you so much.
I'm incredibly sensitive to latency even at extremely very low amounts of ms delay, so I'm forced to play my Aerodrums 1 in MIDI only mode. That way, I can use a higher sample rate with a low sample buffer on my audio interface running an ASIO driver, while recording parts in a DAW to get the lowest amount of latency possible. What little physical sounds that get made from sticks hitting my palms, or feet hitting the floor, still sound like pronounced flams to me, even with this setup, and it can throw me off sometimes on complicated rhythms with time displcement, but even then, I've always been very pleased with Aerodrums 1's response — if 2 is even a couple of ms quicker, that's amazing to me, and really appreciated!

I like the included sounds in 1 a lot, since you all did a great job recording and programming them. Most drum VST's cymbals don't respond nearly as dynamic as yours! I'm always impressed whenever I do a cymbal swell on the included samples. Unfortunately, I can never get the chance to use them while tracking, cause of the samplerate of Aerodrums 1 being locked to 44.1 khz under ASIO, and it interfering in my setup. Really looking forward to the new sounds that will be in 2 in the future!

One final thing I'd like to ask is, will there be any considerations for MIDI 2.0 support down the line in the most probably far future? If it's completely incompatible with the current Aerodrums 2 spec, that's understandable.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi,
this post has nothing to do with Aerodrums2, but there is one thing you said which makes me thinking that you might have a problem with your setup.
What little physical sounds that get made from sticks hitting my palms, or feet hitting the floor, still sound like pronounced flams to me.
This is not normal. The moment you feel your stick bouncing on your palm, or hearing your foot hitting the floor, you should hear the triggered sound, even with an old computer. There is no noticeable latency with Aerodrums.
I'm forced to play my Aerodrums 1 in MIDI only mode. That way, I can use a higher sample rate with a low sample buffer on my audio interface running an ASIO driver, while recording parts in a DAW to get the lowest amount of latency possible.
So I understand you have tried with audio before and it gave too much latency? How did you managed to get Aerodrums’ output into your DAW?
Unfortunately, I can never get the chance to use them while tracking, cause of the sample-rate of Aerodrums 1 being locked to 44.1 khz under ASIO, and it interfering in my setup.
What is your setup? (sound-card/sample-rate/buffer-size/DAW)

JesDes

Post by JesDes » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:20 am

Wolfgang wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:55 pm
Hi,
this post has nothing to do with Aerodrums2, but there is one thing you said which makes me thinking that you might have a problem with your setup.

My apologies, my post was very wordy & admittedly confusingly structured. It can be disregarded. There were two questions I asked regarding Aerodrums 2, but those were most likely hard to parse amidst everything else being said, & I could ask the latter one in the future after 2's launch.

Regarding the setup, you were right that something was off. Clicking ASIO after selecting the device unlinked my interface's driver during the samplerate change to 44.1kHz, & I hadn't noticed it was always switching to & playing through my interface's WDM driver instead of the ASIO driver, because the name displayed was similar — the higher latency was due to that, & now is set at 1ms output without glitches, which feels considerably nicer, & closer to the MIDI out only setup I was previously running. Thanks for giving me a reason to recheck my setup!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:26 pm

Thanks for giving me a reason to recheck my setup!
Glad I could help. But it seems there is still something to optimize.
now is set at 1ms output without glitches
Where did you set this value? If you are using ASIO, the Buffer size slider in the Latency screen doesn’t have any effect. You can set it all the way to the left (0,3 ms), it only works with WASAPI. For adjusting your Buffer size with ASIO you need to use the tool which comes with the ASIO driver for your card. There you need to set a Buffer size of 128 samples (or 64 if you have a good computer/sound-card). Unfortunately, unlike other programs that use ASIO, there is no button on the latency screen to launch the ASIO setup tool. So you need to start it outside of Aerodrums and you might need to restart Aerodrums after having changed settings if the driver requires it.

If you still need some help and you want that we verify together if there is something stuck, could you open another subject and link it to this one here (for getting notified). I don’t like too much to pollute the Aerodrums2 tread. In this case please tell me what is your sound-card and which driver are you using.