Aerodrums with Yamaha Dtx Drum Module

Ringowig

Aerodrums with Yamaha Dtx Drum Module

Post by Ringowig » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:02 am

Hi,

I’m sure I’m not the first to try this but here’s a quick vid of connecting a Yamaha drum module to Aerodrums (via a Mac).
Might me useful if anyone has a favourite drum module kit but their regular E drums are just too noisy..you can also use all the modules features like training/metronome/ audio line in etc.
The audio comes from the drum module output NOT the Mac.

https://youtu.be/_fY5jUQU1Ys

Cheers!

Richard

Re: Aerodrums with Yamaha Dtx Drum Module

Post by Richard » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:10 pm

That's cool - I haven't seen that done before and it looks straightforward to set up.

How is the latency? Does it feel any worse than using the built-in Aerodrums sounds?

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:11 pm

Hi Richard,

I didn’t feel any latency, I think in general the Yamaha USB midi works really well..I haven’t had access to any other module (Roland etc), so I can’t comment on other brands.
It’s handy being able to use the audio in and metronome in the module itself.
Another cool thought I had was that if you used a higher end module, DTX 900 / DTX PRO etc, you could then use the individual audio outs for multitrack recording, and also load in your own samples…I know this is all possible within Aerodrums anyway, but it’s great say if you have a favourite kit on your drum module but even an E kit is too noisy.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:08 pm

I tried this with an old roland kit (hd1). I couldn't get it work, but think the culprit is it only has midi out. Wouldnt a module need midi in, to trigger the module sound?

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have been wondering about Roland etc but don’t have a module to hand to test it.
The Yamaha DTX400K doesn’t have midi in as such, I think it’s the Yamaha dedicated midi driver that makes this possible. Not sure that Roland have an equivalent?.. did you try the Roland with the Yamaha midi driver just out of interest?

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 pm

I did not try the yamaha driver , but I may. Would be kind of cool if there was an one size all option for this kind of thing. I know you can sometimes find cheap drum modules.

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:15 pm

I used to have a HD-1 and I seem to remember it having only an old style din midi out…maybe we need modules with ‘usb type’ midi?…would love to try one of the new DTX PRO modules with Aerodrums…

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:30 am

I just got a simmons titan 50 , but it is at my moms house. I will try that this summer. Love the e kits but still dont really like hearing the pads, after being used to aerodrums. I know my HD -1 sends midi to my computer because I use it with adddictive drums, and Steven Slate.

Ringowig

Post by Ringowig » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:31 am

I’ve just checked out the Simmons Titan 50 and it looks like its got USB so I’d be really interested in seeing how you get on with connecting to Aerodrums when you get chance!
I know what you mean about hearing the pads..most e-kits are still pretty noisy…apart from Aerodrums :D

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:56 am

Dude the Titan Fifty is awesome. I got it on a Black Friday deal. What really sells it for me is all the bluetooth midi and audio connections, plus the usb. I was skeptical at first. I even cracked the high hat pedal the first couple weeks and they sent a new one two days later. Still love Aerodrums in my heart. My dream kit would probably be a real foot pedal and then the rest Aerodrums.