Thoughts and suggestions

Drummerkevin

Thoughts and suggestions

Post by Drummerkevin » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:26 am

I'm really struggling with the snare drum sounds that have rim shots. I believe there are only two snares that you could choose that is without the rimshot. Right now I'm using that P1 rock drum because it definitely sounds the best but I really would like to have the option of no rimshot with that. I have been told to lower the sensitivity in a huge way and increase the volume and that way rim shots will happen less but it really hasn't made that much of a difference. Please folks consider this!

I got the camera stand yesterday and that seems to help things. I just seem to go all over the map with the latency settings never really being satisfied. I can get the exclusive WASAPI set up but unless I have the slider all the way to the right it eventually goes buggy and I have to close and restart. I'm having trouble getting both feet to trigger consistently. I have gone through the setup with the camera stand and all. I have changed sensitivity settings.

Has anyone ever played standing up? I started doing that as a goof tonight and believe it or not I felt I was more efficient standing up! It was not unlike a flamingo as I put most of my weight on my left foot (and things didn't sound that great with a consistently open high hat) but my right foot bass drum was triggering very consistently. It just seemed easier to play standing up, I don't know.

Finally I looked in the manual and I could not find anywhere the difference between beginner proficient and expert setup?

Richard

Re: Thoughts and suggestions

Post by Richard » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm

We have made a version of the rock snare element without rimshots. You can grab it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvzwp54bq7xkw ... k.ele?dl=0
Just copy the file into "\Program Files (x86)\Aerodrums\data\elements" and it will appear in your Elements list.

As for latency, you should definitely not need to bring the buffer size slider all the way to the right. In most cases it works well with the slider all the way to the left. Have you tried this with the new external sound card you mentioned in your other post?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it "goes buggy" - could you explain in more detail how the behaviour degrades? Could you also check to make sure the small rectangular performance indicator in the top left corner of the drumming screen always appears green? If it appears red then the problem is probably caused by something other than audio latency.

I gave some advice on improving foot triggering in my reply to your other post but regarding playing standing up, is it perhaps the case that when sitting you're playing heel up style and when standing you're forced to play heel down? If so, you might have more success trying heel down while seated. (Both techniques work fine with Aerodrums but playing heel up does require more foot control since your foot is no longer anchored on the ground by your heel.)

Finally, the section of the manual you're looking for is here:
https://aerodrums.com/manual/#configuring-latency
This setting basically controls how aggressively soft hits are filtered out. So at the 'beginner' setting you need to hit reasonably hard for a note to the heard while at the 'expert' setting, even the softest of hits will be audible.

Please let me know how we can help further and if you have any more questions.

johnnyM1984

Re: Thoughts and suggestions

Post by johnnyM1984 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi Kevin!

I also like to play standing up, I made few demos:

The drum kit I am playing includes bass drum for hand trigger, I've made this from original "20in punch kick.ele" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Aerodrums\data\elements" folder. Just open this file in HxD (or any other hex editor) and change those bytes:

Remember to make a backup copy first!
After this modification you will be able to trigger bass drum with your sticks and get rid of foot markers.

Also do not forget to set up Hit-hat openess, this can be done while playing from Menu -> Drum kit -> Adjust drums -> Hi Hat and Cymbals -> Hi Hat Clutch. Set it between 10 to 40 % (10-20% is closed hat, 30-40% open hat). In my opinion, you dont need to open it above 40%.

Hope you will share yours video too!