Help/Tips about reducing foot thumping sound

rainsoul

Help/Tips about reducing foot thumping sound

Post by rainsoul » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:28 am

Apologies for the odd title. Basically I live in a shared house on the second floor. There is a guy who lives on the first floor, directly below. When playing aerodrums and using my feet for the bass drums and hi-hat I have to kind of tap/thump my foot on the floor. This sound seems to travel very clearly to the guy downstairs. Obviously it is something I wish to avoid so I can play my drums freely. Is there any DIY trick or method to reduce this sound travel. The obvious reaction to tap quietly does not seem to work as sound still travels unless you are super carefull and concious of being very gentle and this makes you paranoid and kind of hesistant to play freely or naturally.

I am sure more experienced drummers or aerodrumers must have encounterted a similar sitatuion and found some improvised solution for it. I am wondering if buying a small sized matteres and placing my feet on it would be a good bet to dampen the sound? Any tips/advice welcome. Thanks
Last edited by rainsoul on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Re: Help/Tips about reducing foot thumping sound

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:39 pm

I live in an apartment with laminate flooring so I use a cheap bath mat/rug I got from IKEA when I play. This makes a huge difference compared to tapping on hard flooring with shoes.

Personally I don't like playing barefoot or in socks but I know a lot of people play like that. I think some light footwear or sneakers in combination with a (thick) rug should be pretty quiet.

rainsoul

Post by rainsoul » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm

hello i also have laminate flooring like you. i checked out some bag rugs on amazon would this one do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARMDI-Bathro ... hen&sr=1-8

or could you provide an amazon link for another rug which could do a better job? Thanks

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm

That one from Amazon looks very thick and might not feel good to tap your feet on.

I'm sure something like that would be more effective at damping the sound but I would probably try something like this one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifewit-Non-sl ... 01NCKRM71/

It looks very similar to the one I use from IKEA:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/toftbo-bat ... -90422251/

rainsoul

Post by rainsoul » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:04 pm

hey thanks a lot, I will get the one you recommended.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:38 pm

This is a great topic and one I have dealt with since I got Aerodrums 3 years ago. There for a while I was playing Aerodrums for 2-3 hours a day, really getting into it. My neighbor accused me of having a treadmill. I know he was super confused because there was no sound, just vibrations. Ultimately I experimented with different things, but yeah some mats and rugs can change the way you play.