Live AD stand - mobile and stand-alone stand for hands-only play

johnnyM1984

Live AD stand - mobile and stand-alone stand for hands-only play

Post by johnnyM1984 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi everyone!

I enjoy playing Aerodrums but I hate playing it when sitting, so I decided why not to make a stand for hands-only play? I took bass drum sample and created a custom sticks element, so I could play drum kick sound with left hand. If you need my elements for hands-only play, I can share them with you, I ripped samples from Roland R8 drum machine.

I bought used windows 10 tablet ($50), external louspeaker with usb out, took my custom IR camera and arranged a stand for a live play. I connected camera with USB-OTG cable, my laptop had only one mini-usb plug.

The first toruble that I had with my tablet was that its internal audio chip is capable of 16 bit 48k audio output only, without any option to change this in windows settings. I cant connect external usb audio card because the tablet has only one USB-OTG plug. On this tablet Aerodrums cannot use WASAPI at all, neither shared nor exlusive access.

However I installed ASIO4ALL driver which was capable of re-sampling from Aerodrums rate 44,1k to hardware 48k on the fly! Asio4All works well even with 64 samples buffer, without any issues. I was really surprized with ultra-low latency on this tablet.

One thing I noticed is that if you play along with mp3 drumless tracks and use Playlist option, always be sure to convert mp3 to 44100 sample rate! When I ignored the rate of my mp3 tracks, I noticed Aerodrums played unpleasant glitches when I was not playing with markers and was listerning to songs on main Drum screen.

I took some pictures and few videos just for fun! If you have questions how to build something like this, feel free to contact me in this forum or in PM.

This is my video, I am playing KINO (Tsoy) track