Help Setting up MIDI into Kontact 6 GGD

Tommy88

Help Setting up MIDI into Kontact 6 GGD

Post by Tommy88 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi all,

I got my Aerodrums the other day. Im absolutely loving them. Haven't had a kit for nearly a year now as I live in an apartment and Covid has stopped me getting in a studio to practice, so this has just completely changed everything for me.

Im trying to set it up with a DAW and into the Get Good Drums plugin. I have mapped all the Midi across but I cant get the hi-hat control working. Can anyone help with which notes I need based on the attached settings. It has HH CC and its recognising it but I can I can only get closed or splash sounds currently, no variation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 17.04.16.png
Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 17.04.16.png (111.52 KiB) Viewed 7322 times

Richard

Re: Help Setting up MIDI into Kontact 6 GGD

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi, good to hear that Aerodrums is helping you practice more.

I would suggest the following:

1. On the Aerodrums MIDI screen, make sure that the "Open or closed only" hihat setting is unticked.

2. On the Aerodrums MIDI maps screen, select the "Default" map. This will result in Aerodrums sending A#1 for tip hits and D0 for edge hits.

3. Clear all the note values that you show in your GGD screenshot.

4. I'm not sure what GGD expects at this point (annoyingly each VST tends to do things slightly differently here). I would try to set the CC note in GGD to D0 and see how it behaves. That will only capture edge hits though. So perhaps it works better to set nothing for "CC" and instead set "Tip Tight" to A#1 and "Edge Tight" to D0. If you have a manual that came with GGD that might explain how it works.

5. If the hi-hat pedal isn't triggered automatically then you should set the "Pedal" note in GGD to G#1. Aerodrums will also send B-1 for hi-hat foot splashes but I don't see a note for this in GGD - it's possible that they detect these hits from the CC signal and trigger hi-hat splashes automatically.

Let us know if that helps.

If it doesn't, another thing you could try is to go through whatever MIDI mapping presets GGD provides and test each one with Aerodrums to see if the hihat behaves correctly with any of them.

If you still have no luck let me know and I will download the trial version of GGD and see if I can figure it out.

Tommy88

Post by Tommy88 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks so much Richard, that's perfect. I'm going to give that a go and I'll let you know how get on.

Tommy88

Post by Tommy88 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Okay... so got there eventually. Heres the settings should you need it. Thanks Richard for the headstart, got me most of the way. Then managed to find a video for setting up GGD with e-drums that showed me the HH CC setup. Link below in case anyone needs it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqH7v02 ... ex=2&t=0s

In aerodrums:
-Set Midi map to default.
-Uncheck 'Open or closed only'.
-Uncheck 'Only send openness before note'.
-Check 'Hihat Pedal Close'.
In GGD:
-Clear out all values on GGD.
- Tap the little record button next to 'CC' in GGD midi settings. Play an open hi-hat. It will save the value.
- Set pedal note to G#1.
- Check the box to 'Invert CC'.
- That will get the Hi hats working correctly.
- You will then need to work your way around the kit, recording each drum hit into the GGD midi mappings as per the hi-hat, to map the rest of the kit.

Final HH settings attached.

Hope this helps someone else.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 21.21.13.png
Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 21.21.13.png (64.77 KiB) Viewed 7229 times