usb extender

condordontsurf

usb extender

Post by condordontsurf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Does anybody use a usb extender for the camera? I know after a certain point on cable length, USB signal can degrade. I have my computer on wheels and like to keep it to the right of me to play songs, and tweak sounds.

Wolfgang

Re: usb extender

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Some years ago I have tried to put an USB-hub between the camera and my computer. This was working somehow up to the day where I found myself with a black setup screen, and it took me a hard time to get rid of this.

Have you thought to hook another screen and a wireless keyboard/mouse to your computer and use them for controlling your DAW?

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm

The extender that I was using did actually work, but like a lot of stuff in aerodrums it can be hard to pinpoint issues and variances.

I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard, but trying to keep my setup as simple as possible to give me flexibility on moving equipment around my room.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:18 am

We often use USB extension cables when demo'ing Aerodrums at trade shows and haven't encountered any issues.

However, as was the case for Wolfgang and some other users, plugging the camera into a USB hub causes an issue with the colour camera feed that appears during the setup screens.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 am

thanks for the reply Richard!

borrispink

Post by borrispink » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 pm

Richard wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:18 am
We often use USB extension cables when demo'ing Aerodrums at trade shows and haven't encountered any issues.

However, as was the case for Wolfgang and some other users, plugging the camera into a USB hub causes an issue with the colour camera feed that appears during the setup screens.
Hi Richard... can you please be specific about which USB extender product/brand/model you successfully used? I have tried several high end (and expensive) ICRON USB 2.0 extenders which all failed. The camera in my setup screen is either all jumbled noise or all red dots.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:42 pm

i know i have successfully used extenders , but i always try not to. You dont want to go crazy long or start joining a bunch of them together.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:29 pm

borrispink wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 pm
... can you please be specific about which USB extender product/brand/model you successfully used? I have tried several high end (and expensive) ICRON USB 2.0 extenders which all failed. The camera in my setup screen is either all jumbled noise or all red dots.
Have you found a solution? Not sure if I can help you, but actually I’m in an “inversed” situation. I got a very lightweight laptop with just one USB3 and one USB2 connector and either port I’m using and in each order, I’m not able to connect the camera and my ASIO soundcard together. Both are working alone on both connectors, but as soon as I hookup both I get a scrambled setup screen. Having had an USB3 hub laying around I tried it with the camera, lamp and soundcard on the USB3 connector and surprise, it worked. I’m using this setup for some months now and find it reliable. I just make sure that I use every time the same (working) ports on the hub.
This is the hub I’m speaking about:
Hub USB 3.0 à 4 ports avec interrupteurs Xystec

https://www.pearl.fr/article/PX2278/hub ... errupteurs
Same seller on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.fr/Hub-USB-ports-ave ... B072L182NX

I’m sure having bought it there some time ago, but comparing with the photo, on mine there is the brand Xystec printed on.
I’ve also tried this successfully on another computer.