How many hi-hat articulations are avaliable???

minerman

How many hi-hat articulations are avaliable???

Post by minerman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:25 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm not an Aerodrum user (yet), but I'm thinking really hard on buying for a silent recording option....I will be using Aerodrums to record MIDI in my daw, most likely with Superior Drummer...

My question is how many hi-hat articulations are available when recording the MIDI??? I know I could change the notes/fix later in the daw, but I'm looking for the most realistic drum tracks I can get using vsti's....

Thanks in advance, & I apologize if this has been asked/covered before...

Sipaliwini

Re: How many hi-hat articulations are avaliable???

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:54 am

Hello, in terms of openness there are 127 levels (that does not mean you can consciously play notes 1 level apart, e.g. 100/127 open instead of 99/127 with 100% accuracy. You would do well achieving this in 5 levels intervals).

In terms of bow and edge, it is binary and implemented with a configurable velocity threshold (harder hits give edge).

We are working on splash but some samplers will look at the continuous stream of openness values and infer splashes from that.

minerman

Post by minerman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 am

Thanks man, the 5 level of openness would work pretty well I'm guessing, 3-4 would be great too....I'm still looking at Aerodrums, but it looks to be a great solution for me to record my midi drums totally silently, late at night....I am considering an e-kit as well, but it's a lot more $$$, & wouldn't be totally silent like Aerodrums would.....

Thanks again, gonna do some more research/digging to see what other Aerodrum users' experiences are with recording....

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:56 am

No problem, it's not 5 levels though, it's 127/5 ~ 25 levels you can hope to consciously choose with accuracy, and 127 of natural variation.

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:40 am

Hi minerman,
Well I have had them now a few weeks and I'd suggest you go for it going by your requirements.

It requires/encourages good technique so give it a little while before judging it as its a touch tricky at first.

The downsides like a light in your face for me are insignificant, as I can now drum and practice and record in my little studio at any time of day, and in the time have had them have put in more drumming hours than i managed in years with an ekit.

using addictive drums mostly and record and mix a lot and for many years and am happy with the results.

Also made modified sticks so that I can overcome the main issue re aerodrums which is rebound, with these sticks I can hit a surface - in my case a mesh head, and it all works swimmingly.

Video of this in action: Aerodrums working with modified sticks & a mesh head: http://youtu.be/Pa_BvfZHrlY

Hope that's helpful.
Ben

minerman

Post by minerman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks man, I'm still on the fence about 'em, I'm considering an e-kit too, but, it might be a waste of money for me right now (the e-drums), as I can play drums a little, but I'm not a drummer....there's definitely a difference...lol...

I like how you modified your sticks, & use the actual pad/kick, I've got lots of the reflective stuff, as I wear it everyday underground in a coal mine, so, that's another plus & something else for me to consider...

Still gonna give it a few days to decide, but I am leaning toward Aerodrums because of the noise issue....

Thanks again!!!

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 am

Sorry to put on my salesman hat, but if you decide it's not for you after trying it, you have 30 days to return it to Amazon for a refund. You may be left with the cost of the camera (about $10), but it too can probably be returned.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the drumming!