2.4G Wireless Earphone Monitor M-vave

InTheWorks

2.4G Wireless Earphone Monitor M-vave

Post by InTheWorks » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:51 pm

I bought this M-vave WP-10 2.4G Wireless Earphone Monitor Rechargeable Transmitter Receiver from aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003623348899.html
M-vave-WP-10-2-4G-Wireless-Earphone-Monitor-Rechargeable-Transmitter-Receiver-Support-Stereo-Mono-Recording.jpg_640x640.jpg
M-vave-WP-10-2-4G-Wireless-Earphone-Monitor-Rechargeable-Transmitter-Receiver-Support-Stereo-Mono-Recording.jpg_640x640.jpg (148.32 KiB) Viewed 20635 times
Quite affordable. USD$37 with free shipping.

Quality isn't awesome, but it has no lag. There are spurious noises when it's quiet. And when it's quiet there's also a slight tone present in the background.

But when there is audio playing you don't notice that stuff. I've never used anything like this before so I don't know if that's normal for these inexpensive chinese 2.4G wireless links. Whatever latency there is, it's not a distraction.

I bought this transmitter/receiver pair some time ago and never got around to testing it. I just played a along to a few songs and it was nice enough.

I plug a 3.5mm male to male cable from the laptop into the transmitter. I plug my headphones into the receiver and clip it to me somewhere. Freedom. I can't speak to how long they run for. I was playing with Aerodrums for about 1/2 hour so they last that long.

Definitely make sure the volume is all the way down (up one from mute) on the receiver and all the way up on the laptop. Raising the volume at the receiver just raises all the noise.

And yeah I normally use a long 3.5mm cord that goes under my throne and up to my back. So the cord is not in the way of the sticks. I don't know how much I'll use this wireless bridge for drums, but I bought it to use with my TV. And honestly, I don't know if those background noises will be too annoying to watch with them.

Richard

Re: 2.4G Wireless Earphone Monitor M-vave

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:53 pm

Cool! That looks like a nice find. But I might have to test out the "no lag" claim for myself :)

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:41 am

I'm reasonably certain that it's the same technology as the wireless guitar transmitter/receiver.

The specs indicate that the latency is <2ms. Maybe I'll measure it and confirm.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:20 am

Funny that the AliExpress listing says "Delay: ≤12ms"

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:09 am

Well I measured the latency. I have two pairs of over the ear headphones. I used a splitter on the 3.5mm cable from the headphone output of my laptop. One of the splits went directly to a pair of headphones, the other split went to the M-vave transmitter. I connected the other pair of headphones to the M-vave receiver. Then I put the left ear cup of each pair of headphones together, facing each other. Between them I placed the business end of a Behringer ECM8000 microphone. I then used a rubber band to sandwich the two ear cups together.

I created a file that was mostly silence except for one cycle of 2kHz in the middle and 0.5s of silence on either side. I played this test tone while simultaneously recording. This showed two distinct peaks with a distance between them of 650 samples at 48000Hz. That's 13.5ms. I repeated the test a few times changing the volume on the M-vave receiver so I could make sure the second peak came from that headset. I also turned the receiver and transmitter on/off in different sequences. The latency was pretty constant at 650 samples +/- 20.

So the latency measurement of 13.5ms is definitely not 2ms, and definitely not <= 12ms. Liars!

Still 13.5ms from the M-vave and even 13.5ms from Aerodrums (I was using a windows machine) would be under 30ms. I could measure that, but not tonight.

It's much better than bluetooth though and I can't say I noticed the increase in latency when I was playing Aerodrums. I was distracted with sight reading though.

What I don't like about this system is the background noise. As I mentioned there is an underlying noise that sounds like shushes. When there's music playing it's buried, but when watching something with lots of silence between people speaking (like a movie) that shushing noise is annoying.