Aerodrums on Wine

Aerodrums on Wine

Postby germadez » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi,

I'm a Linux user and I'd love to acquire Aerodrums. Unfortunately, as far as I checked there is no official support (yet) for this OS.

My question is... did anyone try to run it on Linux using Wine? It seems that at least there are drivers available for the Eye camera.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
G
germadez

Re: Aerodrums on Wine

Postby ndm » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Tested on Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce

Ps3 Eye Camera work out of box with Cheese but not in Wine.
I was able to install/run the software but cannot setup the drum due to the unrecognized camera.
Hope there is a way to let Wine know that a USB camera is connected.I've tried with the Drives option in Wine Config but didn't work.Seem to be the last step to solve anyway but i didn't find any good infos.Also read this:
http://wiki.winehq.org/USB
ndm

Postby Eisfuchs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:41 pm

I can get the PS3 Eye camera to work under wine with MyCam, it gets recognized as "UVC Camera (1415:2000)". I wonder if the Aerodrums software can be told to use this camera. Maybe Aerodrums staff can shed some light on it? Would be great to know. Thanks! :-D
Eisfuchs

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Unfortunately it can't... In order to have precise control over camera configuration, Aerodrums uses a custom Windows driver for the camera, not a generic one.
Richard

Postby Eisfuchs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for the answer! That's unfortunate, as Wine can not talk to the USB subsystem by itself. So we won't be able to use Aerodrums under Wine. But maybe, just maybe, there will be a native Linux version at some point. :-)

I'm sure you can tap into the community for help if you really consider porting the software. OpenGL and GUI programming is not a big deal, and I'm sure your custom algorithms can be ported easily. And you're using libusb anyway. I love the kit, it is a lot of fun. :-)

Cheers!
Eisfuchs

Return to Support