original drumkits: how many velocities per element?

DJW

original drumkits: how many velocities per element?

Post by DJW » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi everybody,
now that my dream of being a drummer has come true I would like to fulfill myself another dream and play a Ludwig-drumkit.
I'm thinking about creating my own drumset with drumdrop's Ludwig Super Classic Kit (The Multi-Velocity Pack).
Has anyone tried this?

The pack offers mostly 16 or 10 velocities per element. As I don't want to downgrade I would like to know how many velocities per element are included in the original aerodrums-drumkits? Will the Ludwig-kit sound as good as the original kits velocity-wise?

Thanks a lot for your help!
best, julian

Richard

Re: original drumkits: how many velocities per element?

Post by Richard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 pm

I would say that 10 or more velocity samples per element is enough to make a kit that feels good to play. It's hard to say if it will feel noticeably worse than the Aerodrums samples.

One thing that we think makes a noticeable difference is having separate samples for the left and right hands. For example, the bop snare drum in Aerodrums uses between 40 and 50 samples for each of the left and right hands.

Another thing to consider is how many levels of openness the sample pack provides for the hi-hat. In Aerodrums, there are 16 different levels of openness. This means that the Aerodrums hi-hat has nearly 2,000 samples. But again, I think you would get away with a handful of openness levels.

Espen

Post by Espen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Richard wrote:In Aerodrums, there are 16 different levels of openness.
Really? Does this mean 8 for tip and 8 for edge or really 16 levels of openess? If the latter must say I'm very impressed. Need to test it more closely.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:41 pm

16 for tip and 16 for edge....separate hits for left and right hand.....and up to 60 velocity layers across the board.
In total, there are 1,978 separate samples used in the 13" hi-hat element.

Espen

Post by Espen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Today I was listening the hats carefully. There really was 16 levels of openess! The response has always been very nice but I couldn't imagine that it includes that many levels. Major VSTs should have something similar. They usually have only 5 to 7.