Aerodrums hangs

msundh

Re: Aerodrums hangs

Post by msundh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi
Tried a new PCI USB card, but it didn't help. At least putting the camera on the new card. The camera was black in the setup page. What could be the cause of that?
I put all the audio on the new card and use the mothercards USB's fot the camera.
I did noticed that starting up using sticks only, it worked longer before it got stuck, bit it seemed to detetoriate by time.
Also the camera should be set as default Communication device?

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Sorry that's disappointing. The communication device setting isn't relevant, it's just that this camera happens to have microphones, actually I would not set it as default device.
We have a couple of users reporting this black setup screen issue, we don't know yet what is causing it. Does it also happen when you use the motherboard's USB port for the camera like you describe?
When you say that it deteriorated over time, do you mean that the fps was getting lower, or that Aerodrums eventually hanged/froze? If the former, did the alternative graphics modes (Ctrl + g) improve the fps?

Are there other peripherals/PCI cards besides the 18i8, USB PCI card and camera (and the screen, mouse and keyboard of course)?

msundh

Post by msundh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:25 pm

I only get black screen when using the PCI card.
By deterioate I mean, for every restart of the program I get shorter periods when it works (with sticks only).
Other USB devices: A Vox Tonelab EX, Keyboard

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:16 am

Ok, do you notice any difference when the A Vox Tonelab EX is not plugged in?

Which audio device is set as the default Windows playback device? The 18i8?

Could you try going into Aerodrums' latency screen and selecting "Windows default". The latency will be bad but this will test whether it is an audio driver issue.

msundh

Post by msundh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 pm

I setup Latency Windows default, MIDI only and managed to play quite a while with sticks and foot markers via Reaper (this is my primary goal).
I will do some long term tests to see if I can see any patterns.
Some questions:
When should the MIDI Note Scheduler be used?
What is Stage Mode?

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:37 pm

But did Aerodrums eventually freeze still?

The MIDI scheduler should be used with DAWs that get confused when Aerodrums sends notes as soon as it detects them. Reaper is not one of them. It only adds about 1ms of latency so you may not notice any difference.

Stage mode does two things:
-it transforms the menu button into a mute button that toggles sound output from Aerodrums when hit
-it moves that button a bit further away from the drums than the menu usually is

msundh

Post by msundh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Sipaliwini wrote:But did Aerodrums eventually freeze still?
Yes

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 am

That's disappointing. I am not sure what to suggest as this point. The only thing I can think of is fiddling with the ACPI / IRQ settings in your BIOS and making sure Windows respects them, but that's a very long shot and a topic I am not an expert in.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 am

Could you try Slavedave's suggestion from the other thread, namely to plug the light in a USB wall charger instead of in the computer? Just in case it is a USB power issue.

slavedave

Post by slavedave » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Just to clarify:
I used the mains powered usb connection to power the lamp only when I first ran aerodrums. Everything was okay outputting to my Quad Capture via one powered USB hub (with several midi peripherals attached to it) which then inputted in to my laptop through the first of its two usb ports, port and the camera inputting into my second USB port. The Quad Capture was

I then plugged both the camera and the light array into a NON-powered USB hub feeding the second USB port and ran the system as above. No dice - lots of hanging.

Lastly, I kept the camera and light plugged in to the non-powered hub feeding the second USB port and THEN fed the Quad Capture a direct cable from the laptop into its usb input (bypassing all the peripherals on the - now unused- powered hub). Played for ages without a glitch.

It appears that the peripherals attached to the powered usb hub may have been interfering with the laptop. i will try the set up again at the weekend to see if I can duplicate the problem.

All the best!