What is the max on kit size?

RTK

What is the max on kit size?

Post by RTK » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Forgive me if I have missed this info elsewhere but, what is the maximum size drum set one can establish? I realize the necessity of the unit being able to distinguish strike zones. Does that mean a third floor tom is not possible? Or more rack toms? Are the drums set for 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20 and snares with one pitch assignment (the two basic modes listed), or can more drums be added and 'tuned' accordingly? Same for cymbals. Can more be added and pitched differently?

Naigewron

Re: What is the max on kit size?

Post by Naigewron » Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 pm

You can add one drum or cymbal as many times as you want, but you can't tune them differently (unless there's a well-hidden feature somewhere).

I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll have trouble finding comfortable strike zones for three floor toms though. As long as the camera is unable to detect depth-of-field, positioning will be pretty limited.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue May 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Aerodrums currently doesn't have a tuning feature. You can use your own samples to create new drums/cymbals, but if you want to mix and match between the samples that ship with Aerodrums and yours, you will have to make sure yours are in tune with Aerodrums'. We will keep tuning in mind when prioritizing new features. Audio routing is another feature that we are considering that is linked to tuning: you would be able to apply a pitch altering effect in your DAW before sending the audio to speakers.

About the number of drums you can have while remaining accurate, there is no simple answer. Aerodrums is able to discriminate between near and far drums (depth) by looking at how big the balls appear to the camera. This is not the same as having accurate 3D positioning but is enough to have at the very least two layers of drums in depth, as long as there is a reasonable depth difference between the layers. The biggest kit preset we ship has 3 toms, one snare (with cross-stick as separate element), 1 crash, 1 ride (and bell as separate element), 1 china, 1 hihat and 1 kick. That's 10 different regions you can hit with your sticks, plus 2 pedals. The tracking is accurate enough to allow flawless playing on this kit. I wish we had done more experimenting with bigger kits, we will. I believe that with some practice and experimenting with drum placements that work well for them, a drummer could drum fine with 15 stick regions and 4 pedals (the program itself doesn't place a limit on the number of drums/cymbals/pedals you can have.). It may be that if they are aiming for 5-6 toms, the placement that works best for them in Aerodrums will be different from what it is on their physical kit.

RTK

Post by RTK » Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 am

One crash? I thought two were listed, 15 and 18." Hm.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 14, 2014 1:19 am

While Aerodrums ships with 15" and 18" crashes, the "Big Rock Kit" and "Big Jazz Kit" presets only use the 18". Of course, there no reason why you couldn't add the 15" as well.

BrettHeaslewood

Post by BrettHeaslewood » Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

I've got the the two crashes, splash and china on my kit!

AtomicUK

Post by AtomicUK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:47 pm

My first post and blown away by what I have found so far.

As a drummer who has to work away (on tour) in a non drumming capacity (artist / tour manager), I want to keep my hand in for my own sessions and this seems perfect to do that! Hotel rooms, a darkened tour bus, backstage, I can still practice on a full kit - Awesome! :mrgreen:

However, I would like to know if this set up is possible?

Bass drum
Snare
Tom 1
Tom 2
Tom 3
Floor Tom

Hi-Hat
Crash 1
Crash 2
Ride
Bell
China
Splash

It seems as though that is three more elements that is / was possible at the time of the last post on this topic?
If it is still limited to 10, how close is the advancement to more?

Thanks once again for such a cool product!

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 am

Hi, welcome to the forums. There is no limit to how many drums / cymbals you can add to your kit. However, the more you add the more accurate you will need to be to hit them. We have made kits with the exact same elements you listed and there is no issue playing a kit like this.

AtomicUK

Post by AtomicUK » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am

Many thanks Richard, that is great to know!

I am extremely excited by this product and could potentially use it for a forthcoming session and video fora track that is very ironic given your product!
I am good at using technology, but ironically understand little about the tech talk, so my apologies to go off topic, but would it run on my laptop with this spec?
Processor
Intel Core i3-2328M 2.2 GHz
:: Mainboard
Intel HM75 (Panther Point)
:: Memory
4096 MB, DDR3
:: Graphics adapter
Intel HD Graphics 3000, Core: 650-1100 MHz, 9.17.10.2843

Thanks again!

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:20 am

There should be no problem with that laptop, provided it's running Windows Vista, 7 or 8. If you have any issues running Aerodrums on it pm or email me and we'll help.