First test

mba

First test

Post by mba » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm

I arrived today so one day sooner than announced by Amazon and i didn't wait to perform a small test during my break.
It works on a small configuration ie netbook Packard Bell ENLE11BZ (if you are looking for specs) and windows 8.
About the tracking it performs correctly, the system announces 2.9ms of latency which appears to be right.(and 125 fps)
I'm not a drumer so i have to adapt my self to the drum technic and the aerodrums technic but i feel very satisfied with what i get.
After 20 minutes i'm quite sure that with training i should be able to get a great result.
I hope that when i will be ok (in a few years lol) the midi tracking will be available in order to be able to track drums into my DAW.

About green and red i'm a little bit confused. I closed all applications including wifi but i'm not sure that it changed something.
It can perform on green for a while with some small red apparitions then if i stop it becomes red and stay red for a while.
I don't understand the latency tracking but anyway because green or red it still works. :)

So i'm very happy with it and i'm sure i will have a lot of fun and will be able to start to learn drums with it.
Thanks to richard for his rebuttal technic it was helpful to get a better feeling.

I need to experiment more but here are my first comments :
_ i would like to have the message written on top of the screen instead of the center when it's red because as i said, it still works and the message is annoying.
_ if one day you make your own camera including leds for example try to use a thinner cable than the one of Sony's cam because it's too rigid and does not help while setting the cam.
_ did you try to put some leds at the top of the stick instead of using reflecting objects?

That's all,
thanks for your work and kudos to you both. ;o)

admin
Site Admin

Re: First test

Post by admin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 pm

mba, thanks for being our first user to write up your initial experience.

You are very daring to purchase Aerodrums so early as a non-drummer! :D
Are you taking drum lessons? If so it would be great to hear what your teacher thinks.
We've had about a dozen drum teachers try Aerodrums at NAMM and they all liked it. But we would like actual feedback on it being used for learning.

About performance, we will release an update very soon that will let you eliminate the "red" you can see on slower computers by picking a different graphics mode.
We're going to make the warning message less annoying in that update.

I agree with you about the camera cable, it's stiff. I think Sony made it this way to ensure reliable high speed transfer even though it is long (there is a lot of data coming through because of the high capture rate). Sometimes I use a bit of tape to hold it in place. We will look into it when we make our own sensor.

About LEDs on the sticks, we didn't want any electronics on the drummer to make it feel as close to real drum sticks as possible.

I wish you the best learning how to drum with Aerodrums.

mba

Post by mba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.
I don't take any lessons, i'm too old for that.
It was an old dream and i think there was no reason with aerodrums to not try drumming.
It's cheap, it takes no place and it's zero noise garanty.

Today i tried to set the latency at the min and it works perfectly of course in red. 112fps with 1sample 0ms.
Are you sure your traking latency works? 8-)
So if it works on my computer it should work on all computers.
By the way i installed the dedicated driver for the graphic card it has switched the display with 32bits depth color and now i have 112fps instead of 125.
Last edited by mba on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 pm

mba, the audio buffer latency is not the same thing as the framerate.
It is good that you are able to set your audio buffer latency very low.

The framerate should however be stable at 125 fps +- 1 (green indicator) for the best drumming experience.
We are about to release an update to lower the computer requirements needed to obtain this.

mba

Post by mba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 pm

I know that they are not the same thing though they are used by the same program.
I just understood that the framerate is the cam's framerate.
Thanks for your explanations.
I'm working hard to make my first drum cover.
Maybe next week, of course a very simple drum track.(AC/DC)

mba

Post by mba » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 pm

I tested the update and i'm able to be green on the 2 first modes.
I'm using the windows sound drivers.

synesthesia

Post by synesthesia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:00 am

Arrived 2 days earlier than expected which was great.
I like the setup with placing the drummer in the seat to get the camera lined up :)
Although not a drummer myself I found it really responsive and accurate.
Very pleased as the next stage is using this with VR on the Rift so that you can see the drum kit around you.