Superior Drums Map has no Ride cymbal

edkilp

Superior Drums Map has no Ride cymbal

Post by edkilp » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 am

Everything else is perfect, but the ride is not there. If I try the GM Extended map in SD, the ride is correct, but the hats only play open. Can this be fixed, and is anyone else having this issue? I can't figure out how Aerodrums sends HH info. When I record, there is nothing in the midi editor except open hats or pedal hats. The closed hats don't show up. I assume it's in the midi info weather it's closed or open, but I don't get it. It seems as though we can't edit this stuff ourselves in any way. Is that correct? I still can't get it to work with MDrummer. It's the same issue for me: the closed hats are not responding right. If I hit the pedal, it's fine, I can send pedal info, but the hats are always open, and I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone? Thanks.

Sipaliwini

Re: Superior Drums Map has no Ride cymbal

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am

Hello, can you confirm that you are getting this problem with SD1 not SD2?
You are correct that Aerodrums doesn't let you edit the MIDI notes it sends.
We will look into the problem and create a MIDI map for SD1 if it turns out the mapping is different from SD2 (we thought it hadn't changed).
In the meanwhile, you can use Aerodrums' MIDI table ( http://aerodrums.com/manual/#midi-map ) if you want to try to edit the map in SD yourself.

edkilp

Post by edkilp » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm

I don't have SD1, this is with SD2. I've tried several kits, and the ride cymbal is absent in all of them. I'm using the SD2 map that I got from your map package.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 am

Hi, we haven't been able to reproduce the issue with SD2 but we're still investigating and have some ideas of what to look for.

Regarding MDrummer, I checked the manual and couldn't find any explanation of configuring the hi-hat but I downloaded the demo so I will try it out soon and let you know if I can fix the issue.

edkilp

Post by edkilp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 am

Thanks for trying to track down the problem. You guys are good! I'll check back soon to see if there's any progress.

When you say you can't reproduce the issue, are you saying that you do have a ride cymbal and a ride bell?

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 am

Yes exactly, when I hit the ride or ride bell in Aerodrums with any of the preset kits, Superior Drummer 2 triggers the correct sounds when using the Aerodrums MIDI map.

edkilp

Post by edkilp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm

I can get it all to work properly if I select 'edrums' from the MIDI menu.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 am

I don't have more news on SD2 yet but regarding MDrummer, to be honest it doesn't look like that software was designed to be used with e-drums. I downloaded the demo and didn't find any way to configure the hi-hat to respond to CC4 (the MIDI continuous controller that Aerodrums and most electronic drum kits use to describe hi-hat openness).

So, in MDrummer, instead of the hi-hat being triggered by a single MIDI note + the CC4 events, instead, one MIDI note is used to trigger a closed hi-hat and another MIDI note triggers the open hi-hat. Therefore, there would need to be some way to convert the hi-hat note + CC4 data into a different hi-hat note (either open or closed). Most DAWs probably allow you to script this kind of functionality. The conversion could also be done in Aerodrums (as an option in the MIDI screen) if you think it's very important to support.

edkilp

Post by edkilp » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:24 am

First, thank you for all the work you're doing trying to resolve this. SD seems to work fine if I just select edrums from the midi menu. I don't really use SD enough to get too excited about it.

MDrummer is a different story. I do use it a lot, and I really love the sound of the kits I've created with it. Therefore, I'd love to see support for whatever clears up this hi-hat issue. I don't know that MDrummer is a huge seller and very widely used. I'm just one guy, and I'm not looking for special treatment, but if the fix is something that you think is practical, I would absolutely love to use Aerodrums to trigger my MD kits. Thanks again for all your effort. I'm having a blast with my Aerodrums!

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:16 pm

We had a look at the feasibility of using MDrummer or a third party MIDI mapping program to catch the hi-hat notes Aerodrums sends to transform them into a closed hi-hat note depending on the value of the pedal's continuous controller.
We didn't find anything so we are implementing a work around. However, because the issue arises from a limitation of MDrummer, we don't want to expose the work around in Aerodrums' interface.

I am sending you a pm to explain how to set it up.

We are working on a long overdue FAQ that we will publish soon. This is probably a good place to describe the work around to other MDrummer users. In the meanwhile, please pm me or email support.