Showing left and right hands

bangonthedrums

Showing left and right hands

Post by bangonthedrums » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but i can't see how to add left/right hand annotations in aered.
The help page talks about left/right hand samples, but when entering notes via the keyboard and mouse, I can't see how to tell aered which hand each note is played with.
I can add annotations manually, but it's a bit painful to position each one separately and they don't stay aligned with the notes if the notes move.
Thanks again for a great little program.

Richard

Re: Showing left and right hands

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 am

Hi, while Aered has knowledge of left and right hands internally, currently a heuristic algorithm is used to automatically assign left/right to each note and this is only used to trigger different samples during playback. One of the high priorities in terms of Aered feature development is to make it possible for the user to specify whether a note should be played with the left or right hand and to add an option to display the sticking line. I'm sorry this feature didn't make it into the first release, I can imagine adding the text annotations by hand would be a pain - we also plan to improve the text annotation feature at some point, in terms of alignment, anchoring, font style, etc.

bangonthedrums

Post by bangonthedrums » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks Richard.
I'm using Aered for creating drum scores to print, and view on screen, rather than as a sequencer. So for me it's not about triggering the right sample, but all about drawing a human readable stave. Aered is the best tool I've found for this.
So when it can create scores like you see in Rhythm or Drummer magazines, with all the sticking information, I'll be very happy!
I'll look forward to an Aered update! (did you see my feature suggestions in the other thread?)

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 am

Yes, I saw them, thanks for the feedback. A friendly way to export images of the notation has been requested a few times so we will look into adding that. In terms of Aered development, the Mac release is one of our highest priorities and something we are actively working on now.