Latancy and midi issues

saito

Latancy and midi issues

Post by saito » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Hello all, first of all thank you for the aerodrums, i really enjoying mine and its truly a great tool.
Though im having some issues... 0.3 latency is the minimum latency i can choose from the bar, when playing the aerodrums standalone (exclusive WASAPI)
Im using a somewhat high end pc with a roland quad capture external soundcard and getting a good close to zero latency when using with addictive drums.
Which brings me to the second issue, i cant get the in between notes from the hi hat when using AD. I unchecked the open or close only" box. I chosen the AD2 midi map, trying to solve this for couple of days now with little information on this issue...
Also, if its possible, is there a way to transmit via aerodrums the cc stroke types also on the snair for example? It seems to trigger only one sample per drum. Is there a way to get those rimshot triggered not through velocity bit via stroke placement on the snair for example?
Thank you in advance

Richard

Re: Latancy and midi issues

Post by Richard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi. Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood the issue with latency. If you're wondering about the '0.3' value, that is the minimum possible so it's normal. The latency should be practically imperceptible when using Exclusive WASAPI with a small buffer size. If the latency is obvious then there might be another issue. If Addictive Drums is configured to use ASIO as the audio device and gives very low latency then it might be worth trying to set Aerodrums to use ASIO as well. (Of course, this only applies when using Aerodrums in non-MIDI mode.)

Regarding the hi-hat issue, are you using Addictive Drums 1 or Addictive Drums 2? Along with selecting the AD2 MIDI map in Aerodrums, in the AD2 interface, did you also select the 'AD2 Standard Map' from the Map Window and tick the 'CC reverse' checkbox?

Currently we don't send any other CC signal apart from the hi-hat openness since the way articulations work seems to vary a lot between different drum VSTs. You could certainly set up a custom kit in Aerodrums so that instead of a single snare drum, there are two drums next to each one - one configured to send a MIDI note for a regular snare hit and another that will send a MIDI note for a rimshot hit. If you want to try this and need help setting it up, let us know.

saito

Post by saito » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Thank you for the reply.
I'm using now the soundcard panel and the aerodrums is working great with 0.1 latency. The problem was that i was trying to use asio but i somehow was only using asio4all and it had huge latency.

Im using AD 1 and i dont see "standard map in the map preset list.
Maybe its the "default map?
Or AD ver1.0?
I actually tried all the map presets just in case and the best matching is the "default map
But still, only the closed pedal and closed hihat are working. No open hihat. And if im trying manually to map the open hihat and check the "only open close hihat from aerodrums so it works but no in between hihat notes.

Good idea for the snair variation by simply adding more snair drums to the kit though its somewhat a messy setup.. I wish there's a way to implant the aerodrums with the detection of drum hits in different part of the drum pad so it's using more samples per drum pad making more versatile dynamics

I wish i could make the AD feel more like using the aerodrums factory kit. The aerodrums has great realistic and dynamic feel to it. But it seems it doesn't translate as fine with the AD
I hope im wrong and there's a way to solve it
Thank you so much for the help!

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 am

Ok, I see. Those instructions I gave you were for AD2 specifically.

For AD1, can you try this:
1. Download https://aerodrums.com/wp-content/upload ... ppings.zip
2. Copy the file "Addictive Drums\Aerodrums.ADMap" from the zip file to "C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Addictive Drums\User Maps"
3. Inside Addictive Drums, click the "?" button in the top-right corner and choose "Map Window"
4. The click the "Map Preset" drop-down and select User -> Aerodrums

In Aerodrums, the "Open or Closed Only" option should be unticked and you should choose the "Default" mapping, not the "Addictive Drums 2" mapping.

One of the reasons that playing with the built-in Aerodrums samples may feel better than the Addictive Drums ones is because Addictive Drums will trigger audible sounds even for the lowest non-zero MIDI velocity, whereas Aerodrums will scale the volume of the hit to zero as the stick velocity approaches zero. Not sure if that makes sense - but basically if you tap the stick on the snare really lightly, with the Aerodrums sounds you will barely hear anything while with Addictive Drums you will hear quite loud taps on the snare. That said, experimenting with the per-drum MIDI parameters in Aerodrums can certainly make a big difference in terms of how good it feels to play through MIDI.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:53 am

saito wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 pm
Good idea for the snair variation by simply adding more snair drums to the kit though its somewhat a messy setup.. I wish there's a way to implant the aerodrums with the detection of drum hits in different part of the drum pad so it's using more samples per drum pad making more versatile dynamics
What you are looking for is called “Positional sensing” and only supported by very expensive electronic drum-kits. If you don’t want to setup two snares like Richard said, you can also create a personalized midi-element, for example a ride-bell, put it on your snare, create a personalized midi-map and trigger with it whatever you want. I’ve tried this with a “roll” articulation for being able to do press-rolls with one hand.

saito wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 pm
I wish i could make the AD feel more like using the aerodrums factory kit. The aerodrums has great realistic and dynamic feel to it. But it seems it doesn't translate as fine with the AD
I hope im wrong and there's a way to solve it
You can try what I’ve done for AD1 & 2. In Aerodrums set the midi filter for each element to max. After set the sensitivity for each element by starting at the lowest value, and increase up to the moment where only very loud hits go to red. I hope you understand.

This is just a guide-line. Adapt it to your needs.

saito

Post by saito » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Hey guys thank you for helping me
Richard, i download the map file and chosen aerodrums from the user list, unticked the close or open only box, pit it on copy of default map in aerodrums and no good... though its making hihat splash now its still not making the in between half open hihat notes...
I double checked everything you instructed me to do... Hopefully there's a way to solve it
Thank you

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi, I checked the Addictive Drums manual and the following should work.

Can you try this test:
- On the Aerodrums MIDI screen, make sure that 'Open or closed only' is not ticked
- On the Aerodrums MIDI Maps screen, select the 'Default' map
- From the Addictive Drums Map Window, set it to use the Default map preset (not the Aerodrums map)
- From the Addictive Drums Map Window, make sure that 'CC Number' is set to 4 (you may need to select 'HiHat' from the list of the drums first)

Then test if continuous hihat openness is working...

saito

Post by saito » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Hey Richard i tried a couple of time the mentioned above and still no go... When i do it precisely like you say, then the hi hat padel becomes the snair rimclick and the other drum aren't in the correct order. Is there somthing were missing? Sorry if im asking to much, i really appreciate your answers. I really want this to work....

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Sorry, my last instructions were to test the continuous hi-hat only. I didn't expect the other drums to be mapped correctly with those instructions.

So I'm guessing when you follow those instructions, the hi-hat openness is still not working - can you describe how it behaves, e.g. is it always triggering closed hits or does it switch between fully open and fully closed hits?

saito

Post by saito » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:59 am

Only the closed hihat is working correctly, i did assigned the hihat pedel to trigger a foot hihat since it was triggering the snair and it works, problem is when the pedal is open, the hihat is still triggering the same closed hihat sample for some reason...
By the way i have AD2 now and having the same problem exactly( followed your AD2 instructions)