Set fixed exposure on the camera (room too bright)

djeyewater

Set fixed exposure on the camera (room too bright)

Post by djeyewater » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33 am

I'm trying to use Aerodrums with a torch with a ping pong ball stuck on the end (DIY PS Move controller) instead of the reflective drumstick, and no ring light on the camera. In a dark room this works okay. But in a brighter room I get the message that the room is too bright. If I put the aerodrums glasses over the camera to try and darken the image, it just auto-adjusts the exposure so it is too bright again.

Is there a way I can set fixed exposure on the camera, or apply some negative exposure compensation to avoid this issue?

Richard

Re: Set fixed exposure on the camera (room too bright)

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi, there is a file called aerodrums.cfg in the folder (Windows) / app bundle (Mac) where Aerodrums is installed. You can try edit the values for 'Exposure_Mocap' and 'Threshold' at the top of that file. There is no auto-exposure when on the drumming screen. I recommend you reposition the pieces of your drum kit using the 'Place all drums' option after changing these values.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:44 pm

would love to see this setup

djeyewater

Post by djeyewater » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks, I set the Exposure_Mocap value to 5 and that seemed to work okay in a room with the curtains open but no direct sunlight. Haven't tried in direct sun yet.

I did have some issues with hitting one of the cymbals correctly, but I suspect that's more due to me being too close to the camera.

Regarding what the setup looks like, there isn't really anything to show. The 'drumstick' is just a torch with a ping-pong ball on the end.
torch-ping-pong-ball.jpg
torch-ping-pong-ball.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
I only have the one at the moment, so awaiting another. For the feet I haven't tried anything yet, but I think the standard aerodrums foot reflector plus a torch strapped to your foot pointing at the reflector will probably work.

condordontsurf

Post by condordontsurf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 pm

super cool. I love my aerodrums but hate the light. Let us know if you make any videos demoing it.