Custom drum elementi kit and midi output

matteo2303

Custom drum elementi kit and midi output

Post by matteo2303 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am

Hi everyone.

I would like you to experiment. Create three or four "ride bell" type drum elements without associating any wave file but indicating a midi note for each of them. For example:

ElementA (no sound, ride bell type). MIDI value C0
ElementB (no sound, ride bell type). MIDI value C#0
ElementC (no sound, ride bell type). MIDI value D0
ElementD (no sound, ride bell type). MIDI value D#0

Now place the 4 elements of the kit and start your daw where you will load any midi instrument that can play the previously set midi notes (c0, c#0, d0, d#0 in my example).

For some reason aerodrums does not send out all the set midi values, but only two midi notes. The remaining two elements receive the same value as midi output. For example:

ElementA -> C0
ElementB, C, D -> C#0

Do you have my same problem?

Bye , thank you

Wolfgang

Re: Custom drum elementi kit and midi output

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi, I’ve done and it works. I don’t know really what the positions are for, but I’ve used them for putting the 4 bells on 4 different positions and I saved after each one because I had the impression that Aerodrums didn’t kept my modifications.

matteo2303

Post by matteo2303 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Sorry but I can't understand if you have the same problem as me or if you don't.

You can output 4 different MIDI value (one specific midi note for each bell)?

Thank you for reply.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Sorry I wasn’t clear. What I wanted to say is that I was able to do what you wanted to do and I was using the same settings, 4 bells assigned to C0,C#0, D0, and D#0.
On the same page where you can assign Midi notes to instruments you can see on the lower part on the right side a combo box speaking about positions (it’s called like this in French). I don’t know exactly what the positions are for, but I’ve used them for putting the 4 bells on the first 4 positions and I saved after each one because I had the impression that Aerodrums didn’t kept my modifications when done all together, but it’s maybe just me. After I verified in my DAW and all is working like it should.

matteo2303

Post by matteo2303 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Ok! Positions are not documented on user guide seems to me.
Effecly reading midi ini files I can read:

[MIDI map]

Name = MIDI_MAP_TEST
Is_Preset = no

[Per element map]

Map0.name = MIDI Crash 2 Bell
Map0.number = 1
Map0.channel = 10
Map0.note0 = 48
Map0.openness_cc = 0
Map0.positional_cc1 = 0
Map0.positional_cc2 = 0

Map1.name = MIDI Crash Bell
Map1.number = 1
Map1.channel = 10
Map1.note0 = 59
Map1.openness_cc = 0
Map1.positional_cc1 = 0
Map1.positional_cc2 = 0

Map2.name = MIDI Cymbal 1 Bell
Map2.number = 1
Map2.channel = 10
Map2.note0 = 52
Map2.openness_cc = 0
Map2.positional_cc1 = 0
Map2.positional_cc2 = 0

Map3.name = MIDI Ride Bell
Map3.number = 1
Map3.channel = 10
Map3.note0 = 57
Map3.openness_cc = 0
Map3.positional_cc1 = 0
Map3.positional_cc2 = 0

[Element type map]

Positional are always 0 in my case. Probably setting 1st, 2nd, 3th, etc like you say I can resolve my problem. Tomorrow I test and I'll report here.

Strange only I can hear two midi notes and not only one midi note
since I never set position...

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 am

I’ve retried all. First I was re-doing what you have done, just assigning note numbers without setting positions. What I’ve got was this:

Map30.name = Bell1
Map30.number = 1
Map30.channel = 10
Map30.note0 = 24
Map30.openness_cc = 0
Map30.positional_cc1 = 0
Map30.positional_cc2 = 0

Map31.name = Bell2
Map31.number = 1
Map31.channel = 10
Map31.note0 = 25
Map31.openness_cc = 0
Map31.positional_cc1 = 0
Map31.positional_cc2 = 0

Map32.name = Bell3
Map32.number = 1
Map32.channel = 10
Map32.note0 = 26
Map32.openness_cc = 0
Map32.positional_cc1 = 0
Map32.positional_cc2 = 0

Map33.name = Bell4
Map33.number = 1
Map33.channel = 10
Map33.note0 = 27
Map33.openness_cc = 0
Map33.positional_cc1 = 0
Map33.positional_cc2 = 0

Like you can see, the note numbers are OK. But in my DAW I had the same results like you:
1 bell with C0 and 3 bells with F2

After I tried with setting positions. I haven’t touched the ini files, all had been done in the midi configuration:

1) click on modify, select 1st bell, let it on the first position, assign it to C0 and click save
2) click on modify, select 2nd bell, set it on the second position, assign it to C#0 and click save
3) click on modify, select 3rd bell, set it on the third position, assign it to D0 and click save
4) click on modify, select 4th bell, set it on the 4th position, assign it to D#0 and click save

And now I found this in the ini:

[MIDI map]

Name = TEST
Is_Preset = no

[Per element map]

Map0.name = Bell1
Map0.number = 1
Map0.channel = 10
Map0.note0 = 24
Map0.openness_cc = 0
Map0.positional_cc1 = 0
Map0.positional_cc2 = 0

Map1.name = Bell2
Map1.number = 2
Map1.channel = 10
Map1.note0 = 25
Map1.openness_cc = 0
Map1.positional_cc1 = 0
Map1.positional_cc2 = 0

Map2.name = Bell3
Map2.number = 3
Map2.channel = 10
Map2.note0 = 26
Map2.openness_cc = 0
Map2.positional_cc1 = 0
Map2.positional_cc2 = 0

Map3.name = Bell4
Map3.number = 4
Map3.channel = 10
Map3.note0 = 27
Map3.openness_cc = 0
Map3.positional_cc1 = 0
Map3.positional_cc2 = 0

[Element type map]

Like you can see, the MapX.number = is changing, so you might be able to edit directly the ini file. I haven’t tried, but if you want to it would be nice to hear your experience.

matteo2303

Post by matteo2303 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:22 am

Positions (1st, 2nd, 3th, etc) seems doesn't be saved on OSX (10.9.5). I tried saving one position at time but without result. So I edit the INI file manually. (new configuration from scratch. I changed the elements name removing the spaces...). As you can see I manually set MapX.number = value from 1 to 6. With this configuration I can hear three different MIDI notes of six.

I think that there is some sort of bug in some array and saving files... Another thing that I consider strange are the new created *.ele files. If you look inside you read only "ELE0". No other info.

I want to make it clear. I consider aerodrums a good product, mine only want to be constructive indications to improve the product.

PS: apart from this problem I think that it would be good feature to be able to associate a new "fixed value duration value" to each new element to define the standard duration of the note produced. In this way one could load instruments such as xylophone, piano, bass, etc.

[MIDI map]

Name = MIDI_MAP_SETUP
Is_Preset = no

[Per element map]

Map0.name = MIDI_CRASH1_BELL
Map0.number = 1
Map0.channel = 10
Map0.note0 = 52
Map0.openness_cc = 0
Map0.positional_cc1 = 0
Map0.positional_cc2 = 0

Map1.name = MIDI_CRASH2_BELL
Map1.number = 2
Map1.channel = 10
Map1.note0 = 65
Map1.openness_cc = 0
Map1.positional_cc1 = 0
Map1.positional_cc2 = 0

Map2.name = MIDI_CYMBAL1_BELL
Map2.number = 3
Map2.channel = 10
Map2.note0 = 48
Map2.openness_cc = 0
Map2.positional_cc1 = 0
Map2.positional_cc2 = 0

Map3.name = MIDI_CYMBAL2_BELL
Map3.number = 4
Map3.channel = 10
Map3.note0 = 50
Map3.openness_cc = 0
Map3.positional_cc1 = 0
Map3.positional_cc2 = 0

Map4.name = MIDI_RIDE1_BELL
Map4.number = 5
Map4.channel = 10
Map4.note0 = 57
Map4.openness_cc = 0
Map4.positional_cc1 = 0
Map4.positional_cc2 = 0

Map5.name = MIDI_RIDE2_BELL
Map5.number = 6
Map5.channel = 10
Map5.note0 = 59
Map5.openness_cc = 0
Map5.positional_cc1 = 0
Map5.positional_cc2 = 0

[Element type map]

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm

I think that there is some sort of bug in some array and saving files.
I think so too, for this I had to save after each modification. Another thing I remarked was that even after setting positions, when you come back to the midi configuration it still shows 1st position for all bells.
If you look inside you read only "ELE0". No other info.
Same for me, but I think there is some other info, you just cannot see it with a text editor.
apart from this problem I think that it would be good feature to be able to associate a new "fixed value duration value" to each new element to define the standard duration of the note produced. In this way one could load instruments such as xylophone, piano, bass, etc.
Nice idea. And being able to personalise the visual aspect. Should be easy in 2D but might be different for finding compatible 3D models.
I changed the elements name removing the spaces...). As you can see I manually set MapX.number = value from 1 to 6. With this configuration I can hear three different MIDI notes of six. 
It might make sense, because you are using different name schemes. You have one group (of three) called MIDI_CRASHX_BELL another one called MIDI_CYMBALX_BELL and a third one called MIDI_RIDEX_BELL. Could you retry with setting the elements name to the same name scheme, something more short (less than 8 characters) and eliminate underscores and anything other than letters or numbers by starting from scratch? I don’t have the time now, but I will retry tonight with 6 elements.
I want to make it clear. I consider aerodrums a good product, mine only want to be constructive indications to improve the product.
Me too. I am playing with Aerodrums since 2015 and I couldn’t live without it today.

matteo2303

Post by matteo2303 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Work using "BellX" name for elements and edit file for position number from 1 to X.

Map0.name = Bell1
Map0.number = 1
Map0.channel = 10
Map0.note0 = 24
Map0.openness_cc = 0
Map0.positional_cc1 = 0
Map0.positional_cc2 = 0

Map1.name = Bell2
Map1.number = 2
Map1.channel = 10
Map1.note0 = 25
Map1.openness_cc = 0
Map1.positional_cc1 = 0
Map1.positional_cc2 = 0

Map2.name = Bell3
Map2.number = 3
Map2.channel = 10
Map2.note0 = 26
Map2.openness_cc = 0
Map2.positional_cc1 = 0
Map2.positional_cc2 = 0

...and so on...

I think fix needed about saving bug, and a detailed guide about NAME rules and POSITION NUMBER.

Now I have closed my studio and I can't check: how many positions are allowed? I Hope this "problem" is only related about ride bell type elements.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Work using "BellX" name for elements and edit file for position number from 1 to X.
Glad I could help you and thanks for having made me aware that it is possible to create empty elements and assigning midi notes to them.
I Hope this "problem" is only related about ride bell type elements
I don’t think so. It’s like this since the 1.0.22 update in march 2017, but I think you are the first person in this forum speaking about it. In march 2017 there was even less information and I found by trial and fail method that it was necessary to use kit placement for being able to “clone” one element and assigning a different midi note to each clone. It’s the reason why I was responding to your experiment.
Now I have closed my studio and I can't check: how many positions are allowed?
needed a detailed guide about NAME rules and POSITION NUMBER
In the GUI are 9 Kit placements possible. In my understanding “Kit placement” CAN be used if you need to “clone” one element and to give each clone another midi note, so you could have 9 times the same element each time with another midi note. But this cannot be all. I don’t understand why it is possible to assign 9 Kit placements, each one with another midi note to only ONE element. So I’m OK with you, there should be a little bit more information about this.
I think fix needed about saving bug
I’ve put my Aerodrums in English, and what is called “positions” in French is called in fact “Kit placement” and when I said
when you come back to the midi configuration it still shows 1st position for all bells
it was just my bad understanding of the French translation. In English it’s called “Midi note for element ‘XXX’ when placed YYY in the drum kit” and values are changing when selecting other placements, so Aerodrums does actually save something. It’s the word when which hasn’t found it’s way into the French translation. So I’m not sure if there is a bug, at least not under Windows.
If you think you have found a bug you could/should mail Aerodrums support by quoting this thread if you want.