Triggering percussion VST:s with hands alone

JRC

Triggering percussion VST:s with hands alone

Post by JRC » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:32 pm

For those of you triggering VST:s (as myself with various e-kits for different clients) such as Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, Studio Drummer etc.

Would it be possible to utilize the reflective surfaces with your hands alone - like attaching the foot markers to your hands - to play congas in AD:s adpak "Session Percussion" for example?

Richard

Re: Triggering percussion VST:s with hands alone

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:12 pm

This is something we want to experiment with but haven't got to it yet. In theory it should work fine out of the box but in practice I don't know just how well it will work without tuning some of the internal parameters that are set for playing with sticks.

If you have Aerodrums and want to try it, I would not use the foot markers. Instead, I would use the spare pair of balls you get in the box. For a first test, try hold the balls between your fingertips or perhaps between parted fingers like in a Vulcan salute. If it's working well you could then try attach them to the top of some gloves or an elastic band that you'd wear around your hand.

slavedave

Post by slavedave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Or perhaps velcro the reflective ball onto a glove? Interesting - I have several percussion VST's that I used to play with either a Handsonic, a Zendrum or a Yamaha DTX12 Multi. I may have a look at this when I get some spare time. Thanks for the idea

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:05 am

Knowing Aerodrums re the mod I use to hit heads with i think this would work ok if you can avoid the reflectors wobbling or bouncing or moving after impact, so would need to be a pretty solid method of attachment to your hand. Reckon using a mouldable plastic like polymorph could so the trick as can mould to user hand or finger and so tight fit means less wobble and accidental triggering.