Effect of light from Aerodrums

sooma007

Effect of light from Aerodrums

Post by sooma007 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 am

Hi,

I just read a forum post about turn the white light into infrared as the person was worried about the effect of the white light on the eyes.

I bought the aero drums recently and played them without sunglasses, which seemed to hurt a bit.

Can get I get some reassurance that it is safe to play them with sunglasses?

Thanks

Simon

Richard

Re: Effect of light from Aerodrums

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Simon,

Unless you are looking directly at the lamp a lot I wouldn't expect it to hurt your eyes. Of course it is not always easy to avoid this but if you have the lamp set up next to your computer screen and you need to look at the screen a lot then you should position your computer elsewhere, e.g. within reach, by your side.

The size of the pupil in your eyes changes based on the brightness of the environment. If you play Aerodrums in a dark environment there will be a lot of contrast between the dark background and the lamp and this might strain your eyes as your pupil will need to adjust constantly. You will find that your eyes notice the lamp less and less the brighter the environment is. For example, when we attend trade shows the environment is extremely bright and the lamp is barely noticeable in those circumstances. Of course, you need to be careful as always that your environment isn't so bright that Aerodrums starts having trouble tracking the markers.

The lamp we use is at least 5 times less bright than a typical 60W light bulb so it is not something out of the ordinary. If you follow the above tips and wear sunglasses then I would consider it to be perfectly safe.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:38 am

sooma007 wrote:Hi,

I just read a forum post about turn the white light into infrared as the person was worried about the effect of the white light on the eyes.
Simon
I was not worried about white light at all. I am worried about Infrared light with the experiment I am doing at the moment. With white light if your eyes feel tired or straining then you stop. With IR you won't feel anything and that is why IR could be bad for us as you notice nothing.

So with the white light you have nothing to worry about.
I actually still use the drums with white light and I have gotten very comfortable with it. As said the IR experiment of mine is just that “An experiment” and not to be confused with the actual Aerodrums product.

sooma007

Post by sooma007 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks for that, yes it's working really well now am ok with light