Aerodrums for non drummers

carld

Aerodrums for non drummers

Post by carld » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:35 am

So Aerodrums arrived last week..
Absolutely loving them so-far, but this is like when I bought a Mandolin off eBay. I Can't actually play them.
Anyone have any tips for an absolute beginner on the drums.

I can keep the beat with say, the kick, or the hat, or the snare, but it all turns to crap when I try using them all together.

keefdabass

Re: Aerodrums for non drummers

Post by keefdabass » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Unless you're Dave Weckl, who could probably play a decent samba in the womb, it'll take time.
I'm really no expert, but for what it's worth I'd start with one hand only - practice a simple 4/4 on the high hat (with the metronome on) and focus on getting your hits bang on the beat - count: 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-.
Do that separately with both hands 'til you feel reasonably steady and consistent, then move to 8th notes (one hand and both hands) -
count: 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-
then 16ths (both hands) - count:1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a-3-e-and-a-4-e-and-a- . When I first started I found holding the tempo was the hardest thing - practice that first, then slooowly add in a snare on the 2 and 4 of a bar and see how it feels.
A good basic pattern to work up your confidence would be: Hi-hat on beats 1, 2, 3 and 4; kick drum on 1 and 3, snare drum on 2 and 4.
Have a look at this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xx4Dz-2kl4g
If the link doesn't work (first time I've tried this in the forum) just search 'aerodrums' in youtube and look for the 'How to Drum without Drums - Your 1st Drum Beat ft. Aerodrums' entry by COOP3RDRUMM3R.
Good luck sir - keep on keepin' on!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:27 pm

keefdabass 's video is there:

but I don't like very much how the person in this video holds his sticks, the grip is too tight and the arms are a little too much involved for my taste. Look at Richard's video here :

Watch how loose he holds his sticks. I suggest you turning your wrists even a little more inside. Look for “German grip” on Youtube. This is how your wrists are working. Richard is using a lot of finger technique and before you will be able to do that, you will (SHOULD) use your wrists. Don't play with your arms.

After you could start with this one:

With this you will learn to play single-strokes, double-strokes and paradiddles in 16th notes, sextuplets and 32nd notes over snare and toms, while going in 8th with your feet.

And last not least, IF you want to be able to play REAL DRUMS you have to learn how to let your sticks rebound from a surface. This is very important for the sound you will reproduce on a real set.
For this get yourself a pair of drumsticks (not the Aerodrums sticks!) and a practice pad (even a little one you can attach on your knee) and work out single-strokes, double-strokes, flams and paradiddles on the pad before redoing on Aerodrums. 50% / 50% would be a good starting-point.

PS
I'm working as a drum teacher since 1989. If you want, you can send me a little video from you playing these exercises and I will help you not to take bad habits.

keefdabass

Post by keefdabass » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks Wolfgang, great tips. I'll be using the drumeo warmup one a lot!

carld

Post by carld » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks! Some great advice here

alharri

Post by alharri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 pm

About to purchase Aerodrums as I saw it on Dragons Den and thought it looked a great way to learn to play without upsetting my wife and the neighbours!

Two questions I have are:-
Q. Does Aerodrums comes with any basic "learn to play" tracks/samples/help if you have never played drums before?
Q. I gather from the manual that you can play mp3's to play along with which is great, however I wondered if there was any software or prearranged tracks without drums to allow you to play along to when ready?

Finally I did some research on the net and found a fantastic collection of drumless music tracks at https://mega.nz/#F!ZFtWTYaS!HHWv6gnnV31 ... w!MU9xyBYI but clearly you need to learn the track's drum part beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi Al, while we have plans to add educational features in the future, the current version does not have any "learn to play" mode or come with any drumless play alongs. So as far as learning to play the drums goes, it will be pretty much like you're sat in front of a real drum kit.

alharri

Post by alharri » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks Richard, I'll look forward to learning.

You have an incredible opportunity with this technology to make Aerodrums an excellent learning platform with a few extra features. Best of luck with the development and future of this. If you want some crowd funding I'm sure some of the forum members would be interested in investing.

Al