Recording

Afrolex

Recording

Post by Afrolex » Fri May 16, 2014 4:00 pm

What is the best way of recording the drums into a DAW? Is there a tutorial anywhere? The way I've been doing it is to play the song in Windows Media Player and then record the drums in Aerodrums. It's a lot of clicking to stop and start the recording when I mess up. I then export the drums from Aerodrums and import it in to my DAW. I have to trim the file and line it up which is kind of a pain.

Is there an easier way?

kruchansky

Re: Recording

Post by kruchansky » Fri May 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Personnaly, I use the MIDI fonction of aerodrums and DrumKit from Hell on my DAW. Works great!
Maybe the DAW can recognize Aerodrums as a microphone...I didn't try.

Afrolex

Post by Afrolex » Fri May 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I'll give MIDI a try tonight.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat May 17, 2014 9:39 am

If you want to keep the nice Aerodrums sound, or don't have a good drums sampler, the MIDI way won't cut it.
We plan to include Audio routing features to Aerodrums, but it will take a while.

In the meanwhile, you can use virtual audio cable software. On Windows, I have tried VB-Cable and found the latency acceptable, but your mileage may vary. It is donation-ware and can be downloaded at http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/. Here is a link to a good walk-through explaining how to route audio through VB-Cable: http://forums.blinkinlabs.com/index.php ... l-cable/p1.
I have used the "VBCABLE_ControlPanel" program to set it to 44,100Hz sampling rate and 1024 samples. The only annoyance is that you have to reboot the computer when you install or change settings in the control panel, and you have to run these programs in admin mode (right click -> run as administrator).

On Mac there is Soundflower, it has been around longer and is more straightforward to configure. I have not tested latency with it.

Let me know if you need help configuring audio routing.

Afrolex

Post by Afrolex » Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 am

I got it working in Reaper using MIDI and EZDrummer but it's unplayable due to the latency. I don't use MIDI that often so maybe there is something I'm missing.

I couldn't get VB-Cable to work. I'll keep at it.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun May 18, 2014 12:37 am

To get low latency sound from Reaper, you need to make sure Reaper uses WASAPI or ASIO for audio output.
If you decide to try ASIO but your sound card driver doesn't support it, asio4all will probably do the trick: http://www.asio4all.com/. It is a very popular generic ASIO driver among Windows users.

sambosun

Post by sambosun » Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 pm

On my new Mac Pro 6core 64GB all SSD via Thunderbolt 2 the midi functionality isn't working.
My guess is due to the lack of note-off messages sent by the drum kit.

But I like the idea

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 am

The lack of note-off is unlikely to be the issue. Percussion is a special case in MIDI, and the done thing is to not send note-off events.
Have you run the latest updater for aerodrums? You can get it at http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-mac-software-download/. (The latest version as a "Stage mode" check box next to the MIDI button)
I will be replying in your "optional note-off message for drums" thread.

ears22222

Post by ears22222 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi All

I am ready to buy Aeordrums but from what i'm reading about Kontakt freezes, etc, i have concerns about compatibility, latency, etc.

Can someone confirm that it will work as a MIDI controller?
I need to capture MIDI to trigger drum samples in DAW MOTU's Digital Performer 8.

Mac Pro 8 core, plenty of ram.
Thanks!

matkatmusic

Post by matkatmusic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 pm

You guys should implement noteOFFs, because VDrums send a very short note on, followed by a note-off message.

Check out the sample midi that comes with EzDrummer:

I tried recording MIDI with AeroDrums and the lack of note-offs caused the drum plugins I was using to run out of voices.