crashes on opening

empli

crashes on opening

Post by empli » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:04 pm

I open aerodrums to either be welcomed with aerodrums as a white box and the message of aerodrum.exe has stopped working
ive reset everything to default changed different settings etc etc even uninstalled and re installed

windows 10 system do have asio4all installed and ableton also

ANY help im so frustrated and have been trying for weeks

Richard

Re: crashes on opening

Post by Richard » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear this. After installing Aerodrums for the first time did it crash immediately after it was run or did you get to the point where you can configure the audio device settings? Did it ever work in any circumstance, e.g. non-MIDI mode with non-ASIO device?

empli

Post by empli » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 am

initially on very first install after purchase it worked 50/50 sometimes wouldnt be an issue then i did play with settings and asio4all and virtual midi ports trying to get it to work as a controller in ableton live. My computer had a few issues at this point so i decided to back up what i needed to and do a full master reset and reinstall of windows 10. now i have nothing installed on the computer apart from what comes with window, latest version of ableton,aerodrum and asio4all

weather or not am utilizing asio4all or have it not in use via ableton and have the configuration set up on my soundcard to work as just the out put for audio from my computer instead of the jack or inbuilt speakers it wont open at all.

i do vaguely remember that when it did open i could change aerodrums settings to play from the soundcard or inbuilt sound card on the computer. problem is i cant get to that seting of midi or non midi mode. i cant even run it as a stand alone program forgetting all about using it as a controller

i got this as a gift in december and think ive had about 3 hours of actual play time and 66tt4786423 hours of trying to fix it (slight exaggeration)

unsure what to try next.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 pm

If Aerodrums is crashing, it's possible that the aerodrums.cfg file has somehow reached a bad state. You can try open the file ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Aerodrums\conf\aerodrums.cfg") in a text editor such as Notepad. Find the line that says 'Device_Type' and make sure this has a value of 3. Also make sure that 'Device_Index' has a value of -1 and set Aerodrums back to non-MIDI mode by setting the 'Midi_Mode' value to 0. Alternatively just send me the file contents in a PM and I'll check it.

If you make the changes yourself can you see if Aerodrums works okay after restarting it when Ableton is not running? If not, what happens?

I'd like to first understand if there's a problem running in non-MIDI mode. After that we can try get Ableton working. When it comes time to trying MIDI again, you should make sure to set it to 'MIDI only' and not 'MIDI and sounds'. This will tell Aerodrums to only output MIDI and not use the sound card to output audio. If you have both Aerodrums and Ableton set to have exclusive control over the sound card then they might conflict with each other.

empli

Post by empli » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:58 am

Ok so just checked the file like you said, th device type is set correctly as is the midi however the device index is not in the list what so ever. just copied and pasted below. ive tried running combalibility tests via windows as well still nothing

[Webcam]
Gain = 0
Exposure_Mocap = 73
Exposure_VGA = 511
Threshold = 120

;Process priority class:
;0: High priority
;1: Above normal priority
;2: Normal priority
Process priority = 2

[Sound]
Device_Type = 3
Frames_Per_Buffer = 128
Master_Volume = 75
Drums_Volume = 70
Song_Volume = 18
Metronome_Volume = 44
Reverb_Amount = 0
Panning_Enabled = yes

[Drummer]
Dominant_Hand_Reach = 0.400000
Speed_Threshold_Foot_Play = 18.000000
Speed_Threshold_Foot_Place = 40.000000
Speed_Threshold_Play = 30.000000
Speed_Threshold_Place = 400.000000

[Session]
Never_Ran = true
Lamp_Checked = false
Replaced_Lamp = false
Wants_Startup_Help = true
Language = en

Last_Song = -1
Start_Time = 0
Last_Drumkit = My First Aerodrums Kit (RH)
Drum_Full_Screen = yes

Is_Left_Handed = false

Metronome_Tempo = 100

Hit_Detection_Sensitivity = 1

Midi_Mode = 0

Midi_Output_Number = 1

Midi_Send_Pedal_Close = yes

Midi_Send_Metronome = no

Midi_Send_Menu_Sound = no

Midi_Use_Scheduler = yes

Performance_Mode = no

Graphics_Mode = 0

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 am

Thanks for the information. I need a bit of time to investigate this, I'll get back to you soon.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:11 am

The crash is more than likely due to an audio device initialization problem. If you get a chance it would be great if you could try change 'Device_Type = 3' to 'Device_Type = 1' in the aerodrums.cfg file and see if that prevents the crash and lets you run Aerodrums.

This change will cause Aerodrums to use the default Windows audio device. This won't be suitable for drumming but I'm hoping it will let you access the Latency screen where you can choose an appropriate audio device. If you manage to get to the Latency screen without crashing please let me know which devices can be chosen. Thanks.

Joco

Post by Joco » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Any news on this issue? Just installed the software on my x86 Win 10 machine, and I´m experiencing the same issue, it crashes.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:40 pm

One thing you can check is if you have Exclusive WASAPI support enabled and configured as required by Aerodrums.

To do this go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback tab. Select the audio device you are using and go to Properties -> Advanced tab. In the Default Format drop down menu, make sure that a 44100Hz format is selected. In the Exclusive Mode section, make sure that both checkboxes are ticked.

Let us know if you try this and if it makes any difference, thanks.

Joco

Post by Joco » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you for your reply. I changed from 48000 to 44100 (16bit) and rebooted the computer, and I managed to get to the startscreen of aerodrums, then i closed the program to change to 24bit 44100, reebooted and since then I can´t start the program again, I´ve tried to go back to 16bit 44100 and rebooting, but the problem still persists. Have been changing from 3 to 1 (and back) in the device type but no luck. The current settings are:

[Webcam]
Gain = 0
Exposure_Mocap = 73
Exposure_VGA = 511
Threshold = 120

;Process priority class:
;0: High priority
;1: Above normal priority
;2: Normal priority
Process priority = 2

[Sound]
Device_Type = 3
Frames_Per_Buffer = 128
Master_Volume = 75
Drums_Volume = 70
Song_Volume = 18
Metronome_Volume = 44
Reverb_Amount = 0
Panning_Enabled = yes

[Drummer]
Dominant_Hand_Reach = 0.400000
Speed_Threshold_Foot_Play = 18.000000
Speed_Threshold_Foot_Place = 40.000000
Speed_Threshold_Play = 30.000000
Speed_Threshold_Place = 400.000000

[Session]
Never_Ran = true
Lamp_Checked = false
Replaced_Lamp = false
Wants_Startup_Help = true
Language = en

Last_Song = -1
Start_Time = 0
Last_Drumkit = My First Aerodrums Kit (RH)
Drum_Full_Screen = yes

Is_Left_Handed = false

Metronome_Tempo = 100

Hit_Detection_Sensitivity = 1

Midi_Mode = 0

Midi_Output_Number = 1

Midi_Send_Pedal_Close = yes

Midi_Send_Metronome = no

Midi_Send_Menu_Sound = no

Midi_Use_Scheduler = yes

Performance_Mode = no

Graphics_Mode = 0