how to not trigger a tom on a snare upstroke?

newbreednet

how to not trigger a tom on a snare upstroke?

Post by newbreednet » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:06 am

https://youtu.be/cUTubEuOXXk?t=204 (link is time-set to the corresponding part of the video)

This video on YouTube shows an Aerodrummer's screen while playing. Notice the tom above the snare, and how when he raises the stick to hit the snare he hovers over the tom, yet never seems to trigger a hit from that tom. On MY setup, though, I find that if I have a tom above the snare in a similar arrangement, I always trigger the tom on my snare upstroke.

What might be different in the setup in the video?

Richard

Re: how to not trigger a tom on a snare upstroke?

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:26 pm

The spurious hits you describe on the tom should definitely not occur if Aerodrums is configured properly - Aerodrums only triggers hits on the downstrokes. Note that this means if you swing your stick back too far, it can start making a downward trajectory again resulting in a false hit. If you suspect this is the case, try shortening your backswing arc to see if that fixes the problem.

If that's not it, do you experience the problem when using the preset drum kits?

Also make sure that your Playstation Eye camera has its lens on the blue dot setting (fully rotated clockwise) - this catches out a lot of people.

newbreednet

Post by newbreednet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:22 pm

Yep looks like it's to do with my kit creation because the preset kits are way better.

kevcraven

Post by kevcraven » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:34 am

Yes this is why I've signed up to the forum... I set up a custom kit and keep hitting the rack tom on upstrokes for some reason. I also have to refine my technique as I am a hard hitter with a wide swing, but on the whole I am loving my Aerodrums. I think I tried to solve the problem by placing my tom too far away from the snare. Noticed on the preset kits that everything is a little more bunched together which seems to work better.