making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby eagleeyez » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm

making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

This is the quickest, easiest and most economical way I found using a Kindersurprise egg to make a LED drum stick for the Aerodrums without having to use that bright front LED which comes with the Aerodrums. And without having to solder wires.
1x 3.2v LED 20ma, 1x Kindersurprise egg, 1x magnetic screw, 1x 3v 2025 button cell, 3x round small Neodym magnets and a wood drum stick. Also a small drill.

Video
https://youtu.be/0u0UOe05eSg
eagleeyez
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby kevcraven » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 am

This is a great idea, I might try this!
kevcraven
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:18 am

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Bravo,
Your are quite creative in recycling objects, nice find with the Kinder Surprise egg. You should be quite close to a working POC. I would like to see how the tracking in Aerodrums works. But you should better use Timbale Sticks than Drum Sticks (but I suppose you know and you haven't had that at your place, nicht wahr?).

Image

By the way, I've downloaded your video from Youtube and turned it to the side, it was to little for my old eyes. If you want I can send it to you for re-posting (1920x1090 28MB).
Wolfgang
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:36 am

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby bkmsx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Interesting stuff.. I have (too) many of those kinder egg things :D

I am still greedy and want to hit heads too! Have an idea formulating, not tried it yet.

but to answer Wolfgang's question, I got good tracking using my smartphone 'torch' as a test which is just a bright led .. Maybe something you can try as research, i guess some diffuser is likely to be necessary in the end as if you go near another object, head etc reflected light could confuse the tracking that way.

For a dimly lit consistant environment I think this line of solution (light up sticks) is q handy


Off topic slightly, I rubbed a bit of crayon on the light ring itself to take off some of the glare off/reduce brightness and although it sees the reflectors as a touch 'further away' (smaller) all works fine.
bkmsx
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

bkmsx wrote:I got good tracking using my smartphone 'torch' as a test which is just a bright led .. Maybe something you can try as research, i guess some diffuser is likely to be necessary in the end as if you go near another object, head etc reflected light could confuse the tracking that way.

You are right, I've already tried this (when eagleeyez started his topic I’m planning to turn white light into Infrared light.) My question was for 3 dimensional tracking which is impossible with just a led. Aerodrums needs a sphere for calculating deepness.

bkmsx wrote:For a dimly lit consistant environment I think this line of solution (light up sticks) is q handy.

I think so too.
Wolfgang
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:36 am

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby eagleeyez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Wolfgang wrote:Bravo,
Your are quite creative in recycling objects, nice find with the Kinder Surprise egg. You should be quite close to a working POC. I would like to see how the tracking in Aerodrums works. But you should better use Timbale Sticks than Drum Sticks (but I suppose you know and you haven't had that at your place, nicht wahr?).

By the way, I've downloaded your video from Youtube and turned it to the side, it was to little for my old eyes. If you want I can send it to you for re-posting (1920x1090 28MB).


Hi,
No, I did not know what Timbale Sticks are as I am brand new to drumming, but getting on very well thanks to Aerodrums. Thanks for the tip. Yes I will make a video with the eggs, but I first have to buy a second egg and a second LED. But I can still ty tomorrow with just one stick.
Thanks about pointing the video out, I have turned it now in YouTube. I don’t know why YouTube flipped it in the first place. It could take a while to update but thanks for that.
I am now trying a few new things with Infrared and will let you know tomorrow evening.
Eagleeyez
eagleeyez
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby eagleeyez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:38 pm

bkmsx wrote:Interesting stuff.. I have (too) many of those kinder egg things :D

I am still greedy and want to hit heads too! Have an idea formulating, not tried it yet.

but to answer Wolfgang's question, I got good tracking using my smartphone 'torch' as a test which is just a bright led .. Maybe something you can try as research, i guess some diffuser is likely to be necessary in the end as if you go near another object, head etc reflected light could confuse the tracking that way.

For a dimly lit consistant environment I think this line of solution (light up sticks) is q handy


Off topic slightly, I rubbed a bit of crayon on the light ring itself to take off some of the glare off/reduce brightness and although it sees the reflectors as a touch 'further away' (smaller) all works fine.


Hi,
For the hitting pads and not just air I have a very interesting solution that is also silent.
I have tried this before and will make another one, but you will be surprised at how effective, light and easy it is.
For the torch, yes I did that too with a pocket key light and it worked but not everywhere, you need a sphere.

I will definitely do a quick video tomorrow or the latest Thursday.
- P.s .The crayon has given me another idea.
eagleeyez
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby bkmsx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:46 pm

Cool, anticipate what you knock up..

Worth noting from my findings that any light need not be at the very tip of the stick (as we'd initially imagine). AD just wants to see hit 'shapes' in an area of space so the light being exactly where the real tip is isn't a necessity, I used that fact when put the reflectors near the tips and slightly atop the sticks, which works well, so think a light source in the same area would be good and not at risk from being bashed, of course your new solution may avoid all that but thought it worth a mention.
bkmsx
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby eagleeyez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm

bkmsx wrote:Cool, anticipate what you knock up..

Worth noting from my findings that any light need not be at the very tip of the stick (as we'd initially imagine). AD just wants to see hit 'shapes' in an area of space so the light being exactly where the real tip is isn't a necessity, I used that fact when put the reflectors near the tips and slightly atop the sticks, which works well, so think a light source in the same area would be good and not at risk from being bashed, of course your new solution may avoid all that but thought it worth a mention.


Could then fluorescent tips in the right width then work? You could then charge your sticks in sunlight and just have a few pairs of them to change out as you need.
eagleeyez
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: making the LED Kindersurprise Aerodrums drum stick

Postby eagleeyez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Update,
The LED stick is not strong enough to overcome too much surrounding light. I think that this is not going to be the way to go unless you want fire sticks, as a normal lighter does the trick too.
I am going back to IR, as I have had some success with red / blue filters and without modding the ps3. But I am going to mod it anyway.
but if you have the components for the Kindersurprise egg, try it anyway.
eagleeyez
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm


Return to General

cron