AMAZINGINGLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

althemusicwizard

AMAZINGINGLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Post by althemusicwizard » Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 am

I must admit when I stumbled across the NAMM video of Aerodrums, I thought it was an April Fool's giggle.....

After watching the various videos, it seems funny that I was only watching a Sony Playstation presentation about the future of Virtual Reality in games and other areas of life yesterday, as Aerodrums seems to be a forerunner of the same idea. Imagine, putting on a visor and your drumkit (Yamaha, Gretsch, Premier, Tama etc) is right there in front of you.

Well done to the very clever people who thought this up.

The only thing that concerns me (I should add I'm a multi-instrumentalist who was sick of programming drums in the nineties and went out and bought a kit.......so I'm not a proper drummer) is the thought of developing some kind of Repetitive Strain Injury (aka Phil Collins). Is the lack of contact with a real surface more or less likely to cause damage to muscles, tendons etc?

Al

Sipaliwini

Re: AMAZINGINGLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue May 06, 2014 9:43 am

Thank you for your enthusiasm!

About health implications of air drumming, we haven't been able to test long term effects, since we only started the project 3 years ago. There is no reason to be pessimistic though, because air drumming devices have been around since the 80s (Airdrums, Hitstix) and a lot of them have been aimed at kids, with no health incidents that we could find.

For drummers who hit hard with a tight grip on heavy sticks, effective air drumming requires some adjustment: the best technique is to have a relaxed grip and let the butt of the sticks hit your palms when you hit (the Aerodrums sticks are also quite light). We believe the chock absorption on the palms is beneficial in terms of overall pressure placed on the wrists. I think it is likely that hard hitters with tight grips who don't adjust will find they have to air drum with more moderation than others.

BrettHeaslewood

Post by BrettHeaslewood » Tue May 06, 2014 12:28 pm

As a frequent user of Aerodrums (well not that last week, as I actually done my back in from playing with a VR Xbox Kit, Xbox Sports, haha)

I can say I have not had any RSI, I mean after an hour i'm worn out and my arms can really feel it, but that's due to muscle build I guess (hadn't played drums in 10 years or so before I picked this kit up)

I thought I saw someone post a link to a video of a VR Kit utilizing the Oculus Rift, It didn't seem that great due to the delay OR had at receiving the movements and then playing back the movements.

Great idea to implement VR headset compatibility though, but it'd have to be in a few years when the Oculus Rift or True Player Gear has evolved a bit more.

althemusicwizard

Post by althemusicwizard » Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks for te replies guys.
Al