Error during setup

MaxwellsPersuasions

Error during setup

Post by MaxwellsPersuasions » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:45 am

Hello all I was setting up the software and following the advice of the pamphlet but when the zip file opened up to display the setup.exe and the folder data(with elements and fonts folders within) I clicked on data and clicked extract (it saved it to my downloads folder I believe but the pamphlet made NO mention of saving it anywhere specific) anyway after that I ran the setup.exe and recieved two error messages which are the same just interchange the words fonts and elements... this is the format I recieved: "An Error Occured while trying to read the source file: The source file "C:\Users\oconnellk17\AppData\Local\Temp\7z097BE.tmp/data/elements(fonts)/*" Does not exist.

Now at first I wasn't sure what to do so I went ahead and hit ignore (I know stupid) to the two messages and upon opening the application I can see all the buttons but there are no words associated with them so I cannot navigate the menu. I went back into my AppData folder, found the Local folder, then the Temp folder but I noticed I did not have a folder named '7z097BE.tmp" located in there.. I had other folders with a similar format (7z0 and then a bunch of numbers) but they were all last modified in April so I doubt they are relevant.

I went ahead and made all of the folders in the appropriate locations that the error message suggested and then extracted the folders 'Elements' and 'Fonts' into the file 'Data' which I created inside the 7z097BE.tmp folder. That didn't work. So I tried selecting all of the files inside the elements/fonts folders and extracting them that way to the 'Data' folder. No such luck. I then went ahead and tried extracting the 'Data' folder that you see when you open up the zip file (the only thing there besides the setup.exe) into the 7z097BE.tmp folder and still I kept getting the exact same error message.

I'm running windows 8... can anyone please tell me where I went wrong? Or could someone who has installed this successfully on windows 8 could you tell me EXACTLY what you did to set up the software? I would truly appreciate any assistance anyone could offer!

Sipaliwini

Re: Error during setup

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:03 am

I am sorry that installation is not going smoothly for you. You are experiencing a problem with some versions of Windows not being able to run setup.exe directly from the zip file.
What you need to do is extract the files from the zip file to a folder first (instead of simply opening the zip file). When you right click on the zip file, you should see an "Extract ..." option that will let you extract the files to a real folder (as opposed to a temporary Windows folder that goes wrong). You can then run setup.exe from there. If you don't see an "extract" option, please download and install 7zip or WinZip and you will get one.

MaxwellsPersuasions

Post by MaxwellsPersuasions » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:07 pm

The first time I extracted the files though I extracted them and they went to my downloads folder under C/Users/(My username) and then when I tried running the setup.exe it still said that the locations did not exist. Is there a specific folder or place I need to extract the files to? It just led me to believe that I needed a particular folder because it kept trying to access a folder that I hadn't ever even made.. so I figured (perhaps naively) that it was ONLY going to try to access the files from that folder. Is this not the case? I'm fearful that I'll go and extract (both the Data folder and the setup.exe? or just the data folder?) into another folder say.. something under appdata or something like that and then I'll keep getting the error message because it'll keep trying to access it from a folder that doesn't exist. Or should I not be worried? I've already tried extracting it before so I know I'm at least doing the right thing.

If there's any way you could provide like a step by step tutorial of how to do it on windows that would be amazing. Also if I already installed the software with the error messages ignored then will I need to uninstall the whole thing and try again or by just doing this will it overwrite the 'bad' installation?

When I right click on the zip file it gives me three option for extracting
1. Extract (which then I can choose where to extract to)
2. Extract Here (Not sure what this does exactly)
3. Extract v1.1.7-Windows (haven't tried this yet either)

I've only tried option 1 but I've done it to a whole bunch of different places so I don't think that's what's going to fix the problem. What specifically should I be doing for the extraction and again is my having the application installed already getting in the way of my success installing it this time?

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:20 pm

The only difference between these options is the choice of folder the files will be extracted to.
I would pick extract here, this should create a folder named v1.1.7-Windows in the same folder as where you downloaded the v1.1.7-Windows.zip file.
You then need to open that folder (not the zip file) and run the setup.exe you find there.
(I suspect that you have been keeping seeing the error because you have been running the setup.exe from the opened zip file, not the folder where the files were extracted).

When the installation works it will just overwrite any incomplete installations, you don't need to worry about this.

I see we're on email, I will be able to help you directly if needed.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:01 am

I would pick extract here, this should create a folder named v1.1.7-Windows in the same folder as where you downloaded the v1.1.7-Windows.zip file.
Sorry, no. If you pick extract here, it will extract all the files of the archive in the folder where lies the zip file. For having all the files in a folder you should do Extract to v1.1.7-Windows. But there should be something like Extract all . . . (Extraire tout… in french) integrated in Windows since XP, which will create a folder, extract the files and after opens the folder.

M6A2Spartan

Post by M6A2Spartan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 am

Im having the same issue, I have no clue what im doing. ive done everything suggested here, no luck. im going to stop now since ive been trying for 3 hours to get this to work. very, very, not pleased so far with Aerodrums...........

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Im having the same issue. . .
very, very, not pleased so far with Aerodrums...
Hello, and happy new year. If you really have the same problem, I wouldn't blame Aerodrums. You could also blame Microsoft and their (in my opinion) stupid idea for hiding known extensions in explorer since XP or Millennium.
The file you've downloaded is a zip-file. But with default settings in Windows you will not see the .zip! You will see some sort of folder, but with another icon.

NEVER DOUBLE-CLICK A ZIP-FILE.

Move your mouse over this file, and then do like you would for moving this file to your desktop, but using your RIGHT mouse button. When you will release your right mouse button on the desktop, you will see a menu with the option extract (besides copy/move/create shortcut).
Left-click on extract, a window will open. Just accept the default-settings and left-click on extract. Normally another window will open. Just execute setup.exe, or if you want to make sure that you have followed all the steps before continuing than close it and go to your desktop and find the folder v1.1.7-Windows, but this time with a REGULAR folder icon. Open this folder and execute setup.exe and you should be good.