Better drumstick tips idea

mashworth

Better drumstick tips idea

Post by mashworth » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Just a little suggestion to the aerodrums team.

Wouldnt it be better if you could put the solid 'vic firth universal drum stick practice tips' and make then illuminous with the tape you use to make the polystyrene balls work?

As seen here on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U05V0L ... ref=plSrch

They would be much more durable than the polystyrene ones currently used in aerodrums?

I purchased some then other day, I stuck illuminous material you get from a hi vis jacket onto them and added them to the sticks and they work perfectly.

Just a suggestion is all

Wolfgang

Re: Better drumstick tips idea

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:09 pm

This is exactly (more or less) what does Julien Mannoni in his video:
Another DIY project by someone in France

He's using this http://www.baguetterie.fr/tama-tcp10d-s ... chouc.html

But you will see the limits of such a system when you watch at about 00:46, (the left hand accent before the last right hand accent on the snare - you hear a tom).
Wouldnt it be better if you could put the solid 'vic firth universal drum stick practice tips' and make then illuminous with the tape you use to make the polystyrene balls work?
Aerodrums detects distances between the place where you hit and the camera in how big it sees the spheres. The more you reduce them, the more Aerodrums will have trouble in detecting depth.

mashworth

Post by mashworth » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm

No response?

Perhaps these are too expensive for aerodrums to buy. Instead we have very fragile polystyrene ones that dent. At least we get a spare. Bit these vic firth ones are certainly a better alternative.

Come on aerodrums, upgrade your product.. It is time to make it more durable.

NO MORE POLYSTYRENE BALLS
NO MORE REFLECTIVE STICKY TAPE
NO MORE GLUE
NO MORE BRIGHT LIGHT

PEOPLE CURRENTLY MODIFYING THE AERODRUMS ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB AT IT AND WILL SOON TAKE OVER.

mashworth

Post by mashworth » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

HMMMM, whilst I agree what your saying about the issue in the video, these drum stick tips that im talking about are almost identical in size to the ones aerodrums. they are just made of a hard durable plastic.

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Per ... oCdt_w_wcB

add a bit of luminous sticky tape on them (aerodrums only do this on their product anyway as seen here https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SL256_.jpg)

after this you already have a better more lasting product than what aerodrums provide.

all in all Aerodrums must spend about £2 on thier product, and sell it for way more than this on amazon.

my aerodrums sticks are already dented, they've come off more than enough times, and some of the tape isnt sticky anymore.

I think this is most certainly a better option to make your drumsticks last.

the only thing that lasts with aerodrums is the ps3 camera, and that doesn't even come with the kit. these guys are novice craftsmen at best

gers865

Post by gers865 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Mashworth, WHY are your sticks dented? You must be a shit drummer as well as a shit stirrer!

keefdabass

Post by keefdabass » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:17 am

I confess I don't really understand the argument here. 'Novice craftsmen'? It seems fairly apparent to me that Richard & co are a small company - not that much beyond a start-up. They probably don't have loads of cash to throw at indestructible tungsten carbide tipped sticks made of titanium - they've spent their time and energy on developing the software, and that's what you pay the money for.
Personally, I wouldn't dream of smashing any of my guitars against the wall or taking them out of the house without a sturdy case. Similarly, before I start drumming I always make sure I have enough room around me to be able to flail around without bashing something, and when I'm not using them I keep the sticks in the box supplied, with the foam padding designed to protect them.
I suppose if you're from the Gary Husband school of drumming (who must single-handedly keep Vic Firth in business, the number of sticks he launches into the stratosphere every time he plays) then you might need a plan B. It seems you've already found the solution courtesy of the interweb anyway, so there y'go.