Low light environment?

weeman

Low light environment?

Post by weeman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Hey,
I'm thinking about getting one for gigs, but I doubt that it would function properly because the lights are constantly changing during gigs.

Do anyone have any experience using Aerodrums in such environment?
I'd love to hear some notes...
Thanks!

Sipaliwini

Re: Low light environment?

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Hello, I was hoping too that some of the early users had already experimented enough with gig conditions to post some notes, but it is still early days.

We haven't experimented with real gig lighting yet. We plan to, including through giving early users advice and adding features to facilitate it.
Here are a few encouraging points though:

- The kind of bright things that Aerodrums can't handle are lights directly visible by the camera, brightly lit shiny objects, and very brightly lit objects with light colours.
- For indoor or night gigs, the general amount of light is much lower than at home.
- Stage lighting appears bright by contrast with the rest of the room, but is not necessarily that bright. (The human eye is a wonderful thing that can adapt to give you the same sensation whether you are looking at a white wall indoors or outdoors, even though one is at least several orders of magnitude brighter than the other.)
- Stage lighting usually comes from above, so lights are not directly visible, and shiny objects reflect light towards the ground.
- Anything that is out of view of the camera cannot cause trouble, so if some stage lights are indeed too bright, it may be possible to orient them so they don't shine on the wrong things.

Of course there are many more things to watch out for in a gig setting. Some of them are the silly initiatives your computer might take, not knowing that many people are listening to it:)
We plan to post a detailed guide of how to configure your computer to not do unexpected silly things.

I'll post again when we have some gig experiences to report.

MariaBethania

Post by MariaBethania » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:05 pm

You have to see these guys in a well lighten room and not a problem at all.
https://youtu.be/2HqCmT1XjuE

MariaBethania

Post by MariaBethania » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:11 pm

By the way my Aerodrums just arrived (15 minutes ago).
I'm only so sad that the camera didn't arrived yet.
Would any camera work? I can't wait to try it.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 pm

The Playstation Eye is the only camera currently supported by Aerodrums.

MariaBethania

Post by MariaBethania » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks Richard.
Your customer service is really good.
I wish you all the success.

Drumfill

Post by Drumfill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:58 am

YEAH DON'T BOTHER.

I tried these the other day at band practice.. Very dark room with jist a little bit of lighting and the aerodrums dailed miserably.

Dont get me wrong, some notes are hit, but your met by missing a beat and even drums setting off by themselves.

Its only good for home practice (IN A PITCH BLACK ROOM). Its more the sensors on top of the drumsticks that are the weakness of aerodrums.

DO NOT USE THESE FOR LIVE GIGS!!!!

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 pm

in june you said you had sent them back...

reducing reflective surfaces in field of view isnt that hard, normal indoor lighting is ok imo. that said infra red upgrades would be just that, a welcom upgrade

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:12 am

Drumfill,

I'm sorry that you decided to return your Aerodrums and get a refund. But it doesn't give you the right to post misleading information on the forum as you have done repeatedly now.
By the way, it also doesn't give you the right to use the Aerodrums software.
Please purchase Aerodrums if you would like to start afresh with the instrument.