Feature request: VST Midi Plugin

drmq

Feature request: VST Midi Plugin

Post by drmq » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Are there any plans to code aerodrums as a VST Midi Plugin? Personally I'm extremely wary of the jitter that Virtual Midi Ports may introduce and this is currently the only way to record into a DAW and hook it up to drum samplers such as Ezdrummer. I add myself to the other people complaining about poor and limited sound (few drumsets, if you play a loud snare and a loud kick at the same time the sound saturates,etc) but if it was a VST Midi Plugin, we could easily solve this buy using third party drum emulations. Just my 5c. Thanks for all the work to put together this interface in any case.
Last edited by drmq on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Re: Feature request: VST Midi Plugin

Post by Richard » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:42 pm

I have not come across reports that the IAC (MAC) or LoopBe1 (Windows) introduce any MIDI jitter. We're very interested in investigating this, do you have any references?

We are considering making a VST version of Aerodrums to work around issues that certain DAWs have with handling time-stamped MIDI events (see here f.e.). We are also thinking about adding support for VST hosting directly within Aerodrums as this would make it very convenient to use VSTs like EZdrummer with minimal latency/jitter.

Regarding the Aerodrums samples, can I ask which drum kit preset is clipping when you play a loud snare and kick together? I assume you are using the default volume levels - some clipping is possible if you increase the drum kit volume beyond the default 70% mark. This was a conscious decision since we don't apply any compression or limiters to the audio at runtime. If the audio does clip with the preset drum kits at the default volume levels, it is a mistake we weren't aware of and we will fix it.

slavedave

Post by slavedave » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:03 pm

VST hosting in aerodrums sounds VERY interesting!

drmq

Post by drmq » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:06 am

Richard wrote:I have not come across reports that the IAC (MAC) or LoopBe1 (Windows) introduce any MIDI jitter. We're very interested in investigating this, do you have any references?

We are considering making a VST version of Aerodrums to work around issues that certain DAWs have with handling time-stamped MIDI events (see here f.e.). We are also thinking about adding support for VST hosting directly within Aerodrums as this would make it very convenient to use VSTs like EZdrummer with minimal latency/jitter.

Regarding the Aerodrums samples, can I ask which drum kit preset is clipping when you play a loud snare and kick together? I assume you are using the default volume levels - some clipping is possible if you increase the drum kit volume beyond the default 70% mark. This was a conscious decision since we don't apply any compression or limiters to the audio at runtime. If the audio does clip with the preset drum kits at the default volume levels, it is a mistake we weren't aware of and we will fix it.
After playing for it one week, my experience is mostly good but I'm not doing precise work so I can't really tell. I've heard about jitter from informal chats with certain developers (sorry I can't help more). I'm running Windows and loopMidi in my case and I already have Lemur set up with a virtual port, so I simply suspect weird things can happen (in Windows even my wifi card cuts my sound!).

Regarding clipping: a loud kick together with a snare made the sound clip sometimes with the default setup (just playing the classic electronic beat with everything overlapped).

Personally, I'd be superhappy about a VST version of Aerodrums or even better: a MIDI driver, rather than including VST hosting in it because this would open the door to better mixes and nicer work flow (DAWs are quite hard to beat these days).

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info. We will investigate the clipping issue.

stufflin

Post by stufflin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:10 pm

+1 on VST version!

Separate tracks.out
midirouting
Automation
Yeah!