promo code

Post by magicguigui » Sun May 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi Aerodrums Team !

When a new promotion period ?

=)

Fillipio99

Re: promo code

Post by Fillipio99 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:56 pm

yeah, I am wondering the same. i'd be more inclined to buy if the price was lowered. considering you can get a yamahaa electric drumkit pretty cheap at the minute, these aerodrums are totally overpriced. also, doesn't seem fair people used to get them cheaper, and now we have this inflated price?

ive been trying to sort out my own version in the meantime (as I am a software developer). And its quite easy to access the ps3 eye toy camera.

ill let you know how I get on. but in the meantime.. PLEASE MAKERS OF AERODRUMS, LOWER YOUR PRICE TO UNDER 100 UK POUNDS!!! or at least give us another promotional offer that will lower the price.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Hello,

There will be a new promo campaign soon, the codes will be given in short video ads that we'll run on drumming related sites and channels. I will post here when it starts.

About the price, our long term aim is to bring it below £100. However to be able to do that we need more people to learn that it exists, and this includes having it available in shops.

Both of these things cost money. Brick and mortar stores have to pay their rent and their salespeople. And, as much as we would prefer for people to learn that air drumming is now possible without us paying for it, the reality is that large companies have big marketing budgets that makes it expensive for any product to be seen, regardless of its merits.

On merit, Aerodrums is a much better instrument than the electronic drum machines you can get near its price. (It also does not contain any arbitrary marketing motivated limitations: it is fully customisable.)

About the price of the Yamaha drum kit you mention, I cannot find anything new below £300 (unless it is a box module with pads on tops, and I would guess that the cost of manufacturing those is close to that of manufacturing the Aerodrums parts).

Fillipio99

Re: promo code because there's not enough hardware for your

Post by Fillipio99 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 am

Well let's just put it this way, a Yamaha electric drunk kit has a hell of a lot more technology involved for the little price increase and you get a hell of a lot more physical merchandise for your money, and to say that the aerodrums are not even complete without the hard work of the PS3 motion eye camera (made by the hard workers of Sony) means that these are 'deffinately' overpriced compared to an electric drumkit.

The box for aerodrums literally consists of...

* Drumsticks with ping pong balls on the end that have reflective paint on them.
* A glorified torch
* Foam pads for your feet (with elastic to fit all foot sizes)
* Plastic sunglasses (so we don't get a blinding migraine or worse, have an epileptic seizure from the ultra bright light).

AND THATS IT BABY! £130 well spent????? I think not!

It's basically the software which we cannot do without (at the moment, until a kind software developer develops a simple workaround). So yes, I would say for over £100 the aero drums are WELL AND TRULY overpriced compared to a Yamaha style electric drum kit costing approximately £300. At least provide your own camera with the kit to make it complete (or would that cost too much with your budget of £10 and the rest coming from investors?

One More Note, you mentioned in an earlier post 'we are going to meet distributors there. In order to make Aerodrums more attractive to them, we are raising the retail price to $199 / £129 / €149' but at this cost you are LOSING customers. Doesn't the customers interest usually matter in this type of scenario?

I've read the reviews on Amazon from customers, and a lot are not happy with the quality and quantity for thier hard earned money. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, LOWER YOUR PRICE AERODRUMS!!!!!

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:34 am

Ok, I have explained our aim (low price) and our case (marketing and distribution costs), I'm happy to disagree.

Like we hint at in the manual, Richard and I think that Free Software is a great idea. Unfortunately society is lagging behind and currently prevents reaping the full benefits of Free Software. I can think of two ways it does this. The first one is that it doesn't provide a way for Free Software contributors to pay their bills. Contributors tend to work full time to do that (which limits their contribution, e.g. you would not have heard of Aerodrums if I had kept a full time job). The second one is related: in a society where money determines what gets made and what doesn't, projects that have merit but accept that no one will pay for the software often end up having to "monetize" you, the customer. We made the choice early on not to do this: I would not expect a guitar to display ads, or charge me to connect an effect pedal. Drums sampler software companies have made the same choice, even though they know there is little to stop people getting their products for free. I'm glad they did.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 am

For the record, that description of what's in the Aerodrums box is not correct. For one thing, motion capture markers are not painted ping pong balls. Mocap manufacturers usually sell those about £78 for 10 (you get four, two on the sticks and two spares).

Fillipio99

Post by Fillipio99 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:47 pm

I see the only thing you can justify as being 'incorrect' in my description of contents is the 'Iluminous ping pong balls', and that there are actually 4 of them instead of 2.

I'm presuming the rest of my description from the contents is fully correct then? As you failed to mention anything else wrong with my description.

Even still, I refuse to pay £130 for this product, and I 'urge' anyone else reading this post who is thinking of purchasing this product to do so also. A promotional offer is in the cards sooner or later (as they have previously mentioned).

Save your money.... Wait for the discount. READ THE AMAZON REVIEWS before you make any rash decisions.

These guys have only one thing in mind... And it's on your number '4' key on your keyboard when you hold shift ££££££££

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:54 pm

There are other things that are not correct. For example, our lamp is not a "glorified torch", it has a glass lens which is expensive. The lamp is not "ultra bright", it is the equivalent of a 12 watts incandescent lamp, you couldn't even use such wattage for a bedside lamp, you'd want 30W and up. Anyway, it's up to you if you want to remain hostile. Fun fact: we met several people at NAMM who advised us to charge $500.

Fillipio99

Post by Fillipio99 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 am

But so bright that you need some plastic White sunglasses right? I just wanted to get that clear because you guys confuse the hell out of me.

And thank heavens you had the sense to disregard the 'obviously crazy' guys advise about selling the aerodrums for £500 hey! You guys would be requesting more hours with your current employers as you would have had zero sales. £500 is a complete joke. As is £130 in my opinion.

Toodles for now

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 am

Yes sorry that the sunglasses are confusing. Here is the long explanation:

Aerodrums is based on optical motion tracking, which means it is sensitive to very bright objects around and behind the drummer.
The natural reaction of people when Aerodrums warns about bright objects is to just draw all curtains and turn off all lights, so that the room is pitch dark. This is not necessary, but an expedient thing to do.

Now in the dark, even a weak light like Aerodrums' can make you uncomfortable when you look straight at it: your eyes don't have time to adapt from looking at darkness to looking at the light and back.

That's why we include the sunglasses. Now if you look at customer made videos, very few use sunglasses, and those that do are usually in the dark. It's a pity because their videos would look even better if they weren't in the dark :)