aerodrums is struggling to run fast enough...

ifyousayso

aerodrums is struggling to run fast enough...

Post by ifyousayso » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:13 am

haven't been able to complete the setup process...keep getting the message "aerodrums is struggling to run fast enough" (something like that)

Sipaliwini

Re: aerodrums is struggling to run fast enough...

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:59 am

Hello,

it seems that you have been able to install Aerodrums properly, but it needs more computing power to run in the default display mode.

Did you answer "yes" when the installer asked to check for a newer version (you can ignore this if you are on Mac, the Mac version is current)?
If not (and not on Mac), you can run the Aerodrums updater ("Check for Aerodrums updates") to install it (~6Mb download).

With the current version, you can press Ctrl + g (Hold down the Control key then press the g key) to try different display modes that need less computing power.
If you have other programs running, you can also try to close them to free some resources for Aerodrums.

Let me know if you are able to get rid of the message and get a consistently green performance indicator and if so, in which display mode.
If not, could you give me the make and model number of your computer?

ifyousayso

Post by ifyousayso » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 am

thank you, that corrected the problem :)

yihern

Post by yihern » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi.

So I got my aerodrums. and it's fantastic. Made two videos.
Anyway. On some days it runs absolutely fine. But other days, the graphics is so bad even if I cycle to the blank graphics page, the fps drops to 40fps and it lags for a second or two.
Is there something I can do about my system or is my system actually fast enough? I attached my specs sheet with this thread.

I tried closing all visibly open apps and restarting the computer but the problem persists. But after a few days, the problem goes away. Then it comes back again.

Cheers.
Attachments
My Mac Specs
My Mac Specs
Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.51.01 am.png (68.37 KiB) Viewed 18902 times

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

Your system is way more than enough.

When it slows down, does it slow down the same way whether it is in windowed mode or full screen mode (second button up in the bottom left while drumming)? Do you notice a difference whether Aerodrums has focus or not (Mac menu says Aerodrums and the window buttons are not grayed)?

Do you have other USB devices plugged in?

The symptoms make me think of a periodic background task that Mac OS does that takes too many resources away from Aerodrums. A perfect example would be time machine making regular backups to a connected USB hard drive. This would be likely to prevent the computer from receiving the camera pictures fast enough.

I'm very curious about your videos, are you sharing them?

jtayl711

Post by jtayl711 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 pm

My ultimate goal is to be able to record Aerodrums directly into my DAW (which is currently Reaper). When running ONLY aerodrums on my computer, the performance is better, but still not great. The tracking is off and I keep getting messages that I need to cycle through faster graphics modes. I do this, and it doesn't seem to help that much. The highest framerate I've gotten is about 120 fps for brief periods but the little box in the upper right corner still is almost always red.

When I try running it with Reaper running, the tracking and framerates worsen, and it is almost unplayable.

Here are the specs for my computer:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 7.58.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 7.58.06 AM.png (53.04 KiB) Viewed 18833 times
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 7.57.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 7.57.46 AM.png (58.42 KiB) Viewed 18833 times

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 pm

I'm sorry that you are experiencing less than ideal performance. Could you tell me if you notice a difference whether you are drumming in full screen or windowed mode?

When running Aerodrums and Reaper at the same time, does even the "blind" graphics mode give unacceptable performance? Which MIDI mode are you using? "MIDI only" or "Sounds and MIDI". The latter keeps Aerodrums' samples in memory, so picking "MIDI only" may improve performance. (Of course you would then have to setup reaper to play drum samples so you can hear what you are recording).

DAWs, like Aerodrums, tend to be fairly resource intensive applications, and If I am correct, your computer specifications are slightly under what we recommend for Macs (2009 models and up). So unfortunately all I can recommend besides what I mentioned above is to look at advice on how to tune a Mac computer for best performance.

Please pm or email me if none of this helped.