Freedrums = the future for IOS and all other formats.

jeanpicasso

Re: Freedrums = the future for IOS and all other formats.

Post by jeanpicasso » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 am

mashworth wrote:Yes! I also, ALWAYS have an empty room which has painted black walls showing no light in from the outside world. I also ALWAYS wear black clothing whilst playing my aerodrums. The video is a bad example on ‘how aerodrums work’ since the settings he is playing in NO WAY resembles a persons home (since you cannot play these outdoors).

Good video and good effort, but just a non realistic playing environment.

oh get lost, little troll

BuenasNoStix

Post by BuenasNoStix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:38 am

jeanpicasso wrote:
mashworth wrote:Yes! I also, ALWAYS have an empty room which has painted black walls showing no light in from the outside world. I also ALWAYS wear black clothing whilst playing my aerodrums. The video is a bad example on ‘how aerodrums work’ since the settings he is playing in NO WAY resembles a persons home (since you cannot play these outdoors).

Despite @mashworth's way of putting it, his opinion is based on facts and experience: Aerodrums' requirement for an optimal playing environment is a major drawback to its practical usability, let alone its convenience. Additionally, I'm a bit light sensitive, so I always have to wear shades, which is another pain in the butt.

Freedrums are great, but there's a dealbreaker: the drifting sensors. They *always* drift within a few minutes, and even though you can re-calibrate on the fly pretty quickly, it makes Freedrums unusable for jamming with friends, let alone gigs. If you play very conservatively, it's not much of a problem, but I can reproduce the same unacceptably large drift with the same simple fill patter, My guess is that it's a hardware limitation of these inexpensive gyroscopes, and the devs will not be able to address the problem with this generation of hardware.

Freedrums are a super cool toy with potential, and Aerodrums are the more serious instrument. Personally, I need the convenience, and my Aerodrums are on mothballs. But my Freedrums' play time is also limited also by the need to reconnect to my laptop every time I put them down for 7 minutes. If you're into this kind of drum controller--which you are because you participate on a board like this--there's no option but to buy them both, have as much fun as possible, look forward to updates and spending more money on upgrades. In this kind of price range, I wouldn't get too upset about it. I mean, think about your average yearly expenditure on cell phone-related stuff.

Also, kudos to Aerodrums' devs for letting a discussion like this happen without panicking over negative comments, regardless of their rudeness.

jeanpicasso

Post by jeanpicasso » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 am

BuenasNoStix wrote:
jeanpicasso wrote:

Despite @mashworth's way of putting it, his opinion is based on facts and experience: Aerodrums' requirement for an optimal playing environment is a major drawback to its practical usability, let alone its convenience. Additionally, I'm a bit light sensitive, so I always have to wear shades, which is another pain in the butt.

Freedrums are great, but there's a dealbreaker: the drifting sensors. They *always* drift within a few minutes, and even though you can re-calibrate on the fly pretty quickly, it makes Freedrums unusable for jamming with friends, let alone gigs. If you play very conservatively, it's not much of a problem, but I can reproduce the same unacceptably large drift with the same simple fill patter, My guess is that it's a hardware limitation of these inexpensive gyroscopes, and the devs will not be able to address the problem with this generation of hardware.

Freedrums are a super cool toy with potential, and Aerodrums are the more serious instrument. Personally, I need the convenience, and my Aerodrums are on mothballs. But my Freedrums' play time is also limited also by the need to reconnect to my laptop every time I put them down for 7 minutes. If you're into this kind of drum controller--which you are because you participate on a board like this--there's no option but to buy them both, have as much fun as possible, look forward to updates and spending more money on upgrades. In this kind of price range, I wouldn't get too upset about it. I mean, think about your average yearly expenditure on cell phone-related stuff.

Also, kudos to Aerodrums' devs for letting a discussion like this happen without panicking over negative comments, regardless of their rudeness.

no, mashworth posts come from from a place of being a butthurt troll, who is on a very transparent hate campain against Aerodrums.

I have no doubt Freedrums have potential, and that Aerodrums is not an absolutely perfect product, but is by far the superior of the 2.

As I have posted, I have a couple of friends who have tried Freedrums, and they were not at all happy about it to say the least, which just confirmes my suspicion that he´s just fueling his campain with more BS.

Being light sensitive would ofcourse make aerodrums a not so great solution, especially if wearing shades are that much of a pain for you.

I am curious though. when you state "Aerodrums' requirement for an optimal playing environment is a major drawback to its practical usability." - what are these apparently almost unbearably requirement?

"If you're into this kind of drum controller--which you are because you participate on a board like this--there's no option but to buy them both,"
I dont get this argument. why would i buy another drumcontroller that I know is inferior to the one I already have?

BuenasNoStix

Post by BuenasNoStix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am

jeanpicasso wrote: I am curious though. when you state "Aerodrums' requirement for an optimal playing environment is a major drawback to its practical usability." - what are these apparently almost unbearably requirement?
The requirement to eliminate all bright spots and have a fairly spacious area for the camera to see you makes it difficult to use Aerodrums in a cramped music/digital workstation environment. Also inconvenient for impromptu jamming with friends at other locations. It's not a dealbreaker, just a major con that I was listing for comparison with Freedrum's major con, its drifting problem.
jeanpicasso wrote: "If you're into this kind of drum controller--which you are because you participate on a board like this--there's no option but to buy them both,"
I dont get this argument. why would i buy another drumcontroller that I know is inferior to the one I already have?
Because Freedrum reaches the level where, given the affordable price, it's worth personally trying out to see and know for yourself. That way, one can have personally informed opinions that contribute to making both products better. That way, we get better and better stuff. If someone has Aerodrums and participates on forums like this, then that person has the time, interest, and money to mess around with technology--otherwise why didn't they just stick to physical drums? I like to try everything out and use it over days and weeks to see what it can really do for me musically, how it can be adapted, see if it's worth adapting to, etc. To do that, you have to own it for a while, especially if you want to try your own modifications. I'm guessing that a good proportion of people on a site like this find this kind of experimenting worthwhile.

Suggestion: don't feed trolls. Engaging in insults and "setting them right" or "teaching them a lesson" just wastes everyone's time. But if there's a bit of truth to what a troll says, just make use of that and move forward.

jeanpicasso

Post by jeanpicasso » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm

BuenasNoStix wrote: The requirement to eliminate all bright spots and have a fairly spacious area for the camera to see you makes it difficult to use Aerodrums in a cramped music/digital workstation environment. Also inconvenient for impromptu jamming with friends at other locations. It's not a dealbreaker, just a major con that I was listing for comparison with Freedrum's major con, its drifting problem.
I somehow dont seem to have the same problems with eliminating alot of bright spots, and dont really have an idea of being able to use alot less space playing invisible drums, than visible ones.
BuenasNoStix wrote: Because Freedrum reaches the level where, given the affordable price, it's worth personally trying out to see and know for yourself. That way, one can have personally informed opinions that contribute to making both products better. That way, we get better and better stuff. If someone has Aerodrums and participates on forums like this, then that person has the time, interest, and money to mess around with technology--otherwise why didn't they just stick to physical drums? I like to try everything out and use it over days and weeks to see what it can really do for me musically, how it can be adapted, see if it's worth adapting to, etc. To do that, you have to own it for a while, especially if you want to try your own modifications. I'm guessing that a good proportion of people on a site like this find this kind of experimenting worthwhile.
I value the opinions and feedback from my friends who bought Freedrums. From what they had to say about it, I would not waste the money on it.
I also has no interest in helping making Freedrums better due to I dont have an interest in owning it :).
Its fine to try everything if you have the time for it, and money comming out your butt, I just dont have either.
BuenasNoStix wrote: Suggestion: don't feed trolls. Engaging in insults and "setting them right" or "teaching them a lesson" just wastes everyone's time. But if there's a bit of truth to what a troll says, just make use of that and move forward.
I find enjoyment in calling trolls out for what they are. I dont care about teaching them a lesson, nor if someone thinks im wasting anyones time. It is after all my time to waste, and people can choose to read it or not and thus they own choice if the want to waste their time reading my comments or not.

raulshred

Post by raulshred » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 pm

This week I bought freedrum. After 30 minutes my decision was... RETURN THIS CRAP. Aerodrums is a thousand times better...