How to create Hi-Hat instrument?

peteramour

How to create Hi-Hat instrument?

Post by peteramour » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello,

I have organised all my samples from a hi hat in several folders in different openness (subfolder a, subfolder b...) but I don't now how to create a full hi hat instrument with pedal control, and edge sample at defined percentage.

So, my question is , how to organize the samples folder for a hi hat so it becomes a full hi hat instrument, or, how is it built in Custom instrument (pedal&sticks)?

Richard

Re: How to create Hi-Hat instrument?

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi, here are the steps for organizing your folders:

1. Create a folder called "hihat".

2. For each level of openness, create a subfolder named with consecutive letters starting from "a".
For example, if you have 3 degrees of openness your folder structure would look like this:
"hihat\a"
"hihat\b"
"hihat\c"

3. For each of these subfolders, copy in the corresponding .wav samples, e.g. copy the samples for your fully closed hihat into "hihat\a" and so on for all folders. Note thought that if you have separate samples for left and right hand hits you can create further subfolders called "l" and "r" and copy the samples there (e.g. "hihat\a\l" and "hihat\a\r").

4. For the hihat pedal hits, create a folder called "hihat\ped" and copy your pedal samples there.

5. If you have hihat foot splash hits, create a folder called "hihat\spl" and copy your foot splash samples there.

Regarding having softer hits use tip samples and harder hits use edge samples, this is something you will need to do by hand currently. By that I mean instead of copying only tip or edge hits into say "hihat\a", you would copy the quieter half of your tip hits into "hihat\a" and also copy the louder half of your edge hits into "hihat\a". I hope that makes sense. We do have an internal tool that analyzes the volume of samples and automates this copying based on a defined percentage but it's not really something that's fit for release right now. In the future we will improve these tools to make the whole process simpler.

Let us know if you're still having trouble getting things to work the way you'd like.

peteramour

Re: How to create Hi-Hat instrument?

Post by peteramour » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 am

Wow, thank you!
So I was only missing knowledge of the "hihat\ped" folder and "hihat\spl "folder, and also the tip / edge trick.
Everything else i was doing ok. I will give it a try.
Once again, thank you, great support!
Keep up the good work!